Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 2:13:31 PM EDT
I decided to get my post ban ar15 threaded and put a fake flash suppressor or flash suppressor style muzzle break on it.

what kind would you recommend? I'm looking for some thing less than $30.

How much would it cost to have this done?

If a muzzle device has been soldered on, can it be soldered off after the assault weapons ban sunsets?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, the best Postban muzzle device is a plain crowned muzzle.

A perm atached brake must be cut off. Only a pinned brake can be easily removed without cutting.

If you want a brake, a good one with mounting by a gunsmith will be more than $30.

Check out Kurt's Kustom in the Industry Forum.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur with my friend and colleage S0ulzer0, no muzzle attachment or if you have to have something, an FFS.  I would counsel you not to put a FS look-a-like muzzle brake, if you have to use it in a tactical setting the brake will deafen you.

TS
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a "less than $30 budget" do nothing - please.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I meant to put less than $40
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
actually i have a levang muzzle brake and i shoot NV and it does a good job at flash and recoil;;
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd recommend upping your price limit past 40 bucks and having KKF install an A2 Fake Flash Suppressor.

You don't have a cheap firearm. Treat it right.

Second choice, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Mike, from Ohio Rapid Fire/ Star Tactical ([url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=139752]me223[/url] on the EE!) makes and installs faux flash suppressors, as noted by Forest, here;[url=groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw]muzzle devices[/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
KKF
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I understand it is illegal for you to thread your post-ban upper, even if you plan on permanently attaching a brake or fake flash suppressor, unless you plan on making your magazine nonremoveable, or removing that pistol grip.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree that crowned muzzle is a best muzzle device for a post-ban rifle after comparing my new 20" without anything and 14.5" with mini-Y.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I would be very careful about what you stick on the end of your post-ban barrel.  Some companies, such as SOG Amory, advertise a 'Post-Ban Legal Flash Hider/Compensator'.  The ATF ruled that any muzzle break or compensator, etc., that also acts partially as a flash hider is in violation:

[SNIP]
              DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
            BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
                     WASHINGTON, DC 20226

MAR 25 1999                   903050:CHB

Dear Mr. Bardwell:

This refers to your letter of January 13, 1999, in which you ask
about flash suppressors.  As you are aware, the term flash
suppressor appears in the definition of a semiautomatic assault
weapon in section 921(a)(30) of Title 18, United States Code.  The
term flash suppressor is not specifically defined in the statute.

A flash suppressor is a device which diminishes the visible flash
which occurs at the muzzle of a firearm as the bullet leaves the
barrel.  While certain devices are exclusively designed as flash
suppressors, many other muzzle attachments are designed to perform
multiple functions such as a combination flash suppressor and
grenade launcher, or a combination flash suppressor and muzzle
break.  Any such combination devices which function as a flash
suppressor would qualify as a flash suppressor for purposes of
section 921(a)(30)(B)(iv).

A firearm silencer or muffler would also function as an effective
flash suppressor; therefore, a semiautomatic rifle, such as an AR-
15, having a silencer or muffler and a pistol grip would qualify as
a semiautomatic assault weapon as that term is defined in section
921(a)(30)(B).

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If you have further questions concerning this matter, please
contact us.

Sincerely yours,

Edward M. Owen, Jr.
               Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

[SNIP]

AFAIK, the ATF issues an 'approval letter' giving manufacturers the nod to manufacture a particular break for post-ban rifles.  When I emailed SOG asking them about an approval letter, they gave me this lame response:

We do not supply a letter from the ATF, but it is legal.

Thanks,

Tina

Sog Armory

...I seriously doubt they'd run to your side and pay for your lawyer if you got busted for using one of these, and I _have_ heard several stories about people having run-ins with the ATF about these things.  There are plenty of such breaks that I've heard _are_ accompanied by a copy of an ATF approval letter.  I would recommend finding one of these.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
IF THE SOG SET SCREW VERSION OF THE POST BAN MUZZLE BRAKE IS NOT LEGAL THEN ARE THERE ANY THAT ARE AND WHICH ONES ARE THEY?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:35:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IF THE SOG SET SCREW VERSION OF THE POST BAN MUZZLE BRAKE IS NOT LEGAL THEN ARE THERE ANY THAT ARE AND WHICH ONES ARE THEY?
View Quote

#1 Shhhh... Stop yelling.

#2 ALL are legal, come 14 Sept 2004
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I think you mean all are obsolete ;)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you mean all are obsolete ;)
View Quote

Unless you live in NJ - (they already are)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was younger I always wondered why communist countries were called "Democratic Republics". Now with Cali, NY and NJ I see why.

TS
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Napalm113,

I put a Smith Enterprises brake on my post-ban shorty Bushmaster.  I've been very happy with it.  

It acts as a fairly effective compensator, redirects flash favorably and is not too loud.  It stays on the barrel with three set screws.  You'll need to dimple the barrel where the set screws hit the barrel.

I got mine from Dillon Precision.

My advice to you is to shoot other peoples' ARs with various brakes installed and see what you like.  

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Ops Inc 4 Port:

[img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/504100022.jpg[/img]

Out of the price range you mentioned, but I think it's the "best".
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ops Inc 4 Port:

[url]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/504100022.jpg[/url]

Out of the price range you mentioned, but I think it's the "best".
View Quote

Does that come in MARPAT, or just chrome?
[:D]

j/k Cincinnatus.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]
i just bought a comp from a gun show. the company was  sog arms he had them on his guns he was selling keep in mind this was in cali.he told me it was postban legal if i had any problems {atf} could contact him clearing my name.  it's hard to tell the difference between a comp and a fs should i take his word or where can i find out if its ok to use on a postban
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Wait!  Do nothing now, and see what is available when the democrat gun ban expires.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i just bought a comp from a gun show. the company was  sog arms he had them on his guns he was selling keep in mind this was in cali.he told me it was postban legal if i had any problems {atf} could contact him clearing my name.  it's hard to tell the difference between a comp and a fs should i take his word or where can i find out if its ok to use on a postban
View Quote

Set screw or threaded?  If it's set screw and you don't HAVE to have the look, take it off and rezero.  If you have to use it indoors, against a burglar or something like that, it's going to make you deaf after about three shots.

My $.10
My $.02 is free.

TS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top