User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 5:34:57 AM EDT
Just wondering what % is best and what is considered to high.  Thanks

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if rust is your concern, then 0% is best, but damn near impossible to attain.  I keep a few dessicant packs in my safe and it stays around 25% - 40% depending on the RH in my garage.  I take all my guns out and oil them regularly..just in case.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It's so dry here in AZ that the mice are farting dust.  My dessicant packs have not needed to be baked.  When I lived in WA I had to do this every week.  -TF
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I live up here in Central Lower Michigan.  Humidity is high all summer.  I just put a 30 or 40 watt light bulb in my safes, and leave it on.  Never had a problem with any type of rust.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there a good place to get these dessicant packs online??? I need some!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
40 wts is not really needed, in fact a little 15 wt bulb will do fine, no more than 25 wts.  There is also the "Golden Rod" that is a heater for gun safes.

For really humid conditions, there is a product called Corrosian Guard.  It is used in two version, one for use on airframes, the other on electronics, especially useful for exposure to sea water.  A light spritz from the bottle and the fluid will spread out well on the metal, and a shot down the bore, and your firearm will be well protected.  They also make dessicant packs that are used by the military inside of their radio gear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
if your safe is not airtight, dessicant is futile. as stated, a small lamp will maintain enough of a temperature increase inside the  safe to impede moisture condensing on your stuff. also as stated, maintain your stuff and if you keep the safe indoors where you live and you are comfortable, your stuff will be just as comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Using the golden rod or similar heating device has kept my guns rust free for better that 20 years.  Both safes have one installed at the bottom near the door.  Raising the temp in the save even a few degrees lowers the humidity to safe levels.  I use the 25 watt models if I remember right.  I even built a special cab for reloading and bullet sizing dies that has a golden rod installed to keep them from rust.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry to sound really stupid here. I really like the idea of putting a light bulb in my safe. How are you guys getting power to it? Is it battery powered, or do you have some way of getting a cord into your safe? Where have you purchased these golden rods or other such setups?

Thank you all!

drew
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Every safe I've ever seen has some kind of hole in it somewhere...you can even drill one.  I just clip the  wall plug off.  Then all you need is a tiny hole.  Then you thread the cord thru.  Buy one of those replacement male plugs at a hardware or electrical supply shop.  You just strip the cord back a couple of inches, then put it in the plug and tighted the retaining screws.  You have a permanent stup in your safe that way.  Mine is made out of a mechanic's  trouble light, so it has a cage around it.  Bulbs last like 5 or more years in this application.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Being an anal type, I made sure to caulk the hole with firestop putty.  Otherwise you could compromise the fireliner.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top