BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 7:22:35 PM EDT
Anyone have one, if so how are they???
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Try here, [url=ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=62]AR10 & AR180[/url] forum.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  (-:
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
 Dude, I have a REAL AR180 and let me tell you...I would NEVER own the new 180B...I compared the two today and I guarantee you there is NO comparison. The front sight post on the new guns is barely 1/8 high ( try a bit of holdover with that or try to aim at a distant target ), the lower reciever, though comfy, is plastic and the gun has an incredibly CHEAP feel to it.  I was willing to give the gun a chance..but after comparing a REAL AR180 to this new one....there is NO comparison...get a good AR15 if you dont already have one or get something better ( a Mini14 is WAY better than the AR180B and I HATE mini 14's )or you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 Dude, I have a REAL AR180 and let me tell you...I would NEVER own the new 180B...I compared the two today and I guarantee you there is NO comparison. The front sight post on the new guns is barely 1/8 high ( try a bit of holdover with that or try to aim at a distant target ), the lower reciever, though comfy, is plastic and the gun has an incredibly CHEAP feel to it.  I was willing to give the gun a chance..but after comparing a REAL AR180 to this new one....there is NO comparison...get a good AR15 if you dont already have one or get something better ( a Mini14 is WAY better than the AR180B and I HATE mini 14's )or you will be disappointed.
View Quote

What you talkin 'bout Willis? I am very happy with my 180B.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What would be kind of interesting is if Armalite would adapt the AR180 upper to fit on an AR-15 lower.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
 FrankSquid:  very seriously...compare the 180B to the real 180 and you will see why I think they have cheapened a great weapon.  From what you and a few others have said ( the breaking receiver issue omitted ) I believe you guys that the 180B is a realible weapon.  You guys seem to know your stuff VERY well.
 The 180B does shoulder well....but HOW CAN YOU USE THAT "FRONT SIGHT" ????  It's so tiny!!!  The two examples that I checked out on Sat. morning had a front sight that was BARELY 1/8 inch high.  The front sight tower/gas block would obscue a huge portion of your target.  It's like they are forcing you to use a scope....hmmmmmmmm...devious marketing ploy????

Believe me, I wish I could like the AR180B....but they took away everything the government couldn't take away and left a shell of what the 180 could have been.

If they would have used a metal receiver and fixed the stock to that ( or used a removable one like the M96 ) I could easily forgive some of the other omissions like the chrome lined barrel and the dust cover ( of dubious value, really ) and even the original firing component design....but I cannot condone what Armalite has done with this weapon which is come up with a cheap and inferior way to make money in my opinion...and that is what is being solicited: opinions.  True I do not own a 180B...but I do own an AR180 and have loved them for years.

For those of you that have them (180Bs)...I am glad they work, I am glad that you enjoy them...I would be angry FOR you if they didn't work....but when I reccommend a weapon to someone I reccommend the best stuff I can think of and the 180B does NOT make my list...in fact I would NOT reccommend a standard 180 for most people because it is NOT a perfected design....but ohhhhhh it could have been.  When I reccommend a weapon to someone I do it with the knowledge that most of them may not have shot nearly as much as I have (and others have) and may not have the knowledge base that I and others do have.  I want them to come away from a purchase with a weapon that they can be happy with and proud of.  I also want them to have a weapon that lasts them for a long time and gives them little to no trouble.  There are few weapons you can reccommend to neophytes or persons that you are uninformed of as far as how much experience they have or what their tastes are that can fill that bill to satisfaction.  These are my general shooter reccommendations based on quality, reliability, shootability, general affordability and manufacturer cusomter service ( rifles only ):

a quality AR made by Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite

a quality made M1A. Either an old Springfield or one confirmed to have mostly GI parts

There are certainly more guns out there that are fun to shoot, that are cool looking and are reliable also but these two designs are easy to use, easy to maintain and are renowned for their reliability..I can reccommmend them to almost anyone without reservation.  There are other guns that I also approve of ( a well built FAL, for instance ) and would reccommend them to those asking about that design in particular....but back to answering the original question: I can't reccommend the AR180B based on what I have seen and felt from MY particular point of view.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one if you are inclined; I wouldn't stop you or belittle you if you made that purchase, it's your money.  At the same time I have to be honest as to why it doesn't get my stamp of approval.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Desertmoon, I respect your opinion. I never owned or shot a AR180 thanks to the NJ assault weapons ban of 1990.

I see your point about the front sight. But looking at pictures of the 180, it looks the same as the original? Armalite hangs out in these forums so I am able to enquire about the short front sight post.

For LONG shots I usually look [i]over[/i] the rear sight and not through the front sight post.

Just take a minute to look at the 180Bs features and not comparing it to the AR180.

[b]Its a [i]6 lb[/i] rifle with 20" barrel.[/b]
This is my favorite part of the 180B. there are 6lb AR15s but with 16" barrels. 5.56 is all about velocity, 20" barrels rock.

[b]It accepts M16 mags[/b]
The only other rifles that I can think of are the M96($), AR15 or one of those HK conver$ions.

[b]Gas system and Bolt[/b]
the gas piston is right off of the gas block. This delivers plenty of power to the op rod to ensures reliable operation. My 180B has eaten any/every type of ammo that I have fed it.
The gas system DOES NOT introduce grime onto the action. The action is VERY simple and works great. It field strips in seconds. Try that with the other rifles I mentioned.

[b]AR15 fire control parts[/b]
Not much to say there except for parts availability and 2 stage triggers.

The 180B is a blast to shoot. I find myself grabbing the 180B a few mags and a lot of ammo when I head to the range. I have LOTs of high speed toys, ACOGs, rail systems, EOtechs and a safe full of ARs, I love the simplicity of the 180B. I hope it catches on and the price comes down to the $600 mark or less.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns4,
FrankS has covered things very well in his post above.

I own both the preban AR-180 and the AR-180B and both are fine rifles.  Each is different in its' own way but both excellent rifles.  Now I do like to shoot both with a scope but these days I shoot about everything with a scope !!

Edited to add:  The ArmaLite scope & mount for the AR-180B only costs $124 and mounting- dismounting takes about 2 or 3 seconds.

I believe MSRP on the AR-180B is about $650 and if you add the scope and mount at $124 that total only comes to $774.  I don't know of any place in the AR world that delivers the same value for that low cost.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top