Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 4:51:23 PM EDT
Are there any downsides to using the Accuwedge in order to minimize play between the upper and lower?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If installed correctly, a little harder to push pin out. I just installed one in my M4gery to day now all but two of my AR's have them. For the price, why not? If you don't like it,just   remove it.

You dirty rat,you killed my guy! James Cagney
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
... Why did you [i]have[/i]   to use one in the first place?

edited to fix drunkenposten
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's like 3 dollars.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's like 3 dollars.

... that's not the point
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, Winston_Wolf, Do you think it is needer, or a waste?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if it makes an AR any more accurate, but it does take out any play between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My Bushy loved it...my pre-ban Colt on the the other hand hated the accu-wedge...numerous feeding problems...

My advice...for what it's worth (LOL) it's kinda hit and miss...money is better saved for more ARs...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, Winston_Wolf, Do you think it is needer, or a waste?  
View Quote

... Well, if you have [u]that[/u] much fore and aft play between [u]your[/u] upper & lower, I'd say it's a "needer".
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Both my AR's have 'em.  After thousands of rounds through one of them it gained some play between recievers.  Not much but noticeable to my anal retentive eye.  Got an accu wedge and cured the problem and the carbine loves it.  Went ahead and put one in the other rifle as well.  I think they are a good addition regardless.  If you have no upper play it is not necessary but for the cost?  Why not?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses, looks like I will install one. The play just bothers me!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know if it makes an AR any more accurate, but it does take out any play between the upper and lower.
View Quote

You can get the same effect for $0 a couple of different ways.

1. Take a paper match and split it in half length wise. Place the two halves on the top edge of the lower receiver on both sides and close it up.

2. Take a small diameter rubber band and drape it across the lower receiver just behind the front pivot pin so it hangs out from both sides. Close the rifle up and trim the ends of the rubber band off with a razor if you don't want them dangling outside the gun.

Both methods work nicely, and neither one will improve accuracy. Just like the accuwedge!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
After installing the Accuwedge I had to sepersate my upper and lower by using a punch and hammer.  I threw that piece of crap in the trash right then so noone would have to deal with that piece of junk after me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the downside I would say it that it works by pushing the Upper and Lower apart rather than bringing them together for an actual tight fit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well the downside I would say it that it works by pushing the Upper and Lower apart rather than bringing them together for an actual tight fit.
View Quote

Correct. Since it pushes them apart, When you fire the gun the recoil of the weapon still "clacks" the two halfs together and then the AW forcibly "unclacks" the 2 halfs.
Just because it is tight in your hand doesnt mean it is tight while shooting.
GG
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't care about quick takedown, and you want something the pulls the two parts together instead of pushing them apart, you might consider the JP Rear Tension Pin. It is available at Sinclair, among other places.

I tried it, and it worked just great. Then I decided that I didn't really need it.

[url]www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=14-650&type=store[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top