Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 10:48:13 AM EDT
is this a quality weapon and a good deal ? I paid 1000$ each for my two colts. They have a few extras.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For $600 you can buy a forged lower, a decent parts kit and learn your weapon inside and out.  Friends don't let friends buy Hesse.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
POS do not buy.  You will get [sex]!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
What everyone said above !!

(Bet this is the first time the board was unanimous in their advice.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree. Hesse and Century are two brands to avoid at all costs, I speak from personal experience.

Olympic Arms (www.olyarms.com)sells a brand new AR15 for as low as $599 (cast lower receiver).

I bought my Olympic PCR7 Carbine (all forged upper and lower receivers) for $714 brand new and have fired 600 rounds through it without a single malfunction, very sweet rifle. I am very impressed with it. I am very happy I did not spend the extra on a Colt or Bushmaster, although I am sure those are fine rifles, on my budget it would have limited the accessories I could add. I served 10 years in the US Army Infantry, and lived with M16A1s and A2s during that time, so I have a pretty good idea of what a good AR should be. Olympic today makes a very good product, in my experience.
Dave
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Buck,
I see I'm a little late on the post here but for what it's worth, here is a copy and pasted story that I gave another guy back in June when he was asking about VULCAN Arms.

You can still see their statement about their WARRANTY (NOT) on their new website, www.vulcanarms.com

Here is what I told the other fellow AR15 person. Hope it helps.

"Garyd,

You can do a search on Vulcan on this site even for the last 30 days and you will only get one hit, YOURS!! There is a reason.

You can ask ANYONE on this board about VULCAN also previously known just a few months ago as HESSE ARMS. They will tell you, run, run as fast as you can, THE OTHER WAY!!

Dude, I'm not shooting you a line here. I purchased one BEFORE I done my homework and came across this board. I had two of them. The story on them.

The first one. Had shot around 30-35 rounds through it and the bolt broke. YES, the bolt. It was not closing correctly and finally broke the little splines around the firing pin hole. Sent it back to Federal Arms Corp. They sent me another.

The second one. When I got it, I noticed that it too, the bolt did not close well. It was hitting the inside grooves of the barrel. Not sure what they are called. I also noticed that where the gas tube comes down the handrail and through the collar, it was obviously not straight. It was bent to compensate for the everything else being out of line so it would go in the upper. Never even shot it.

PLEASE, do yourself a favor. Stay away from them. They only have a one year warranty and are a pain in the ass to get a hold of let alone talk to. That's why they changed names from HESSE to Vulcan. Hoping the "newbies" would not recognize the name.

Yes, they are cheaper than others but let me give you a run down here.

$560 for the gun and original shipping on November 13th, 2002. Paid to have it shipped back on December 5, 2002. Got second gun 4 weeks later. Waited for UPS shipping label 4 days. Had to go to town and find a box to ship it back in and back home. Then had to take it to UPS. Had to wait another 2 months before they told me they didn't know when they would get in Olympic Arms in and I asked for my money back. They sent me a check for the gun, MINUS original shipping cost.

Here tis:
$630 (For the Gun and Shipping)
$23 (To ship the first one back USPS)
$40 (Total in gas going back and forth finding boxes and going to post office and then to UPS and back)
$$$$ ( Having $650 tied up in a gun that I did not have in hand for 6 months.)

Total $693 and 6 months of aggrivation, phone calls and a lot of run around.

Don't do it, take my word and everyone elses. Just ask around on this board, you'll find out, really quick.

Good luck."
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Think Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Sir Robin, IIRC):  "Run awayyyyy!!!! run awayyyyy!!!!" [rofl2]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top