Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 8:05:50 PM EDT
Shooting paper can get old. So just for the heck of it.

What can you hit with confidence, with iron site and at what distance? (50-100-150)

Now I'm not asking sandbags, rifle-rest,matchammo. Just plain old Wal-mart white box. Standing,3point sitting or prone.

Myself I can't even see a shotgun shell at 100yd. So my report would I stink and need alot more practice. But clay pigions at 60-75yds 3 point sitting with 16 carbine. Pop cans about the same if their bright colored. Now I can hit shotgun shells with my varminter prone 100-125 yds, 50-75% of the time. But of course it has a scope and bi-pod.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Shooting paper can get old.
View Quote
http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html
i came across this. i never used this stuff. they say its really loud
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you use Tannerite make sure your targets are at least 100 yards out. We were using tannerite at the range 2 months ago in side old computers. When hit,computer parts would fly back to our table, and we set them at @ 80 yards. Tannerite is very cool.

Thanks KyBob,again for the tannerite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I like to clean out the shop of all those spray cans of Rustoleum and Krylon that won't spray.  They make a nice burst when hit.  I especially like the red, orange and yellow colors.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I like cheap cans of tomato sauce and cherry pie filling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Spray cans, that is a good idea I hadn't thought of!

Last time I was out, after we used up paper targets we got a little creative.  My AR is iron sights, and we were standing unsupported.  We were shooting 12 gauge shells (expended) at about 60-70 yards, I don't think I could see them at 100 yards either.  We found an old red propane lantern canister, that was fun.  And a couple peices of PVC pipe (that was cool!)
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
My friend and I started stapling party balloons to wooden crates and setting them at various distances. Then we have friendly matches of "who can hit the farthest". Best I've done so far was 250m offhand in three shots. Balloons are cheap and theres no doubt when you hit them. Blowing them up starts getting a little tiring, so now I take an old scuba tank out with me and use the compressed air from that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like cheap cans of tomato sauce and cherry pie filling.
View Quote

ill have to try that.

one thing i like to shoot at is old cinder blocks. .223 doesnt do a very good job at blownig them up so i use my 8mm mauser for that. it makes a nice dust cloud if you hit it in the center
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Blowing them up starts getting a little tiring, so now I take an old scuba tank out with me and use the compressed air from that.
View Quote

What are you thinking?!?

Fill that thing up to the maximum PSI and shoot that thing. Make sure and post before and after pics, or maybe a video!

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blowing them up starts getting a little tiring, so now I take an old scuba tank out with me and use the compressed air from that.
View Quote

What are you thinking?!?

Fill that thing up to the maximum PSI and shoot that thing. Make sure and post before and after pics, or maybe a video!

[;)]
View Quote

Your joking right?....ever seen how far a oxy. tank with the valve knocked off will fly?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I've heard stories of guys on the Ohio River laying them parallel with the water and knocking the valve off. Said it looks like a torpedo  [:)]

It would be cool to shoot from about 400 meters away though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you thinking?!?

[;)]
View Quote

Your joking right?....ever seen how far a oxy. tank with the valve knocked off will fly?
View Quote

No, but I'd like to!  Can you post a video?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Shooting snowmen is cool, when its winter anyway.

In the summer, pop cans and such are fun. Stack 3 cans of different sizes on top of each other and knock them down one at a time, its a pretty fun game, if you miss the top can and hit the one below it and knock them both down, you lose.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
CO2 cartridges from a pellet gun are cool too, i've done it twice, the first one took off like a rocket, never to be seen again.

The second one fell to the ground stood up on the neck and spun for almost a minute, enough time to clear the weapon and then run up to watch it stop- it was covered in frost.

other than that, potatoes explode very nicely.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top