Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:05:15 AM EDT
I keep seeing colt sporters for sale with no bayo lugs on them, why is that, I know the sporter I had back in 92-93 had a bayo lug, cause I bought a bayonet for it. Whats the deal there, were some made with and some without, it did have a sear block in it, but other than that it was normal. nib from colt at that, so I know the upper wasnt swapped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could answer that question.  I have a Colt Sporter Lightweight which has the bayo lug and of course the sear block.  Maybe someone can answer that for us.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything that is a non AR15{A2} marked from colt in the old days ie. blue label sporters, should not have a lug on it and should have a sear block. Your light weight doesnt sound 100% original to me.
GG
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to add that the upper on my Sporter LW is not the factory A2 upper, but is a Colt M4A4 flattop upper that I bought afterwards.  Sorry, forgot to leave that little detail out.  However, the lower is 100% original Colt Sporter LW.  Here is a pic of it.  Sorry it's not a close up.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p93777e74a072f3ea4f640b7b49a2b756/fc474046.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Some think that the removal of the bayonet lug was due to political pressure.  Just like how Colt began to ship sporter carbines with fixed stocks and not collapsible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember this: some Colt Sporters are pre-ban, others are not. I even called Colt to verify this.

I have a pre-ban and the lug is not there.

This causes some confusion with various pawn shops and gun stores. They don't realize that the threaded barrel with flash hider is also a pre-ban feature since it has a pistol grip. (they think its a muzzle break). They end up pricing it as a post-ban! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My pre-ban doesn't have the lug.  It's a '91.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Kalifornia and back in 1989 they passed one of the first AW laws.  The Colt AR15 was on the banned list.  To get around it, Colt renamed the AR15 to Colt Sporter, They removed the bayonet lug and began milling down the back part of the bolt carrier.  By doing these modifications, they were able to sell the Sporter in California until the 1990s when the state passed another law banning the rifles by series.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top