Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 4:10:32 PM EDT
I have an Oly lower with a nice trigger and a VLTOR carbine stock. I am seriously interested in an SPR upper with the new SIR. Should I make a preban, ans share lowers, or a post ban on my brothers Armalite?

Preban is cheaper. I even figured out a way to not screw with the slings. The SPR can have a sling with the ball bearing attachment thingy that came with the VLTOR on one side, and I can take my single point off the rear of the receiver.

But do I want to be able to use both at once? Well, no me, but maybe me and a buddy at the range?

Ops inc. brake or Vortex?

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess we're back to that old question of do you want a flash suppressor or a muzzle brake ??

For an SPR I would go with a brake and postban receiver.  Now as to which brake, I would call Wes Grant at mstn.biz (cause he knows a lot more about them than I do) !!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Ops Inc brake used on SPR clones are, as I understand it, preban only.

I struggled with the same decision. In the end, I just built a whole new SPR (out of an Armalite coincidentally). I guess its just the idea of having a whole nother gun as opposed to 1 and a half!

Heck, if Im lucky, the ban will sunset and I can put whatever I want on the end of the barrel. If that should come to pass, I dont know id I would do an OPS Inc or Vortex either. I would probably lean towards Vortex just because I value the flash suppression over the compensation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Go "Post" with no muzzle adornment.  With an 18 or 20" heavy barrel, scope, SIR, etc there is no recoil to speak of, and you save a ton of money, plus you have, as mentioned, another whole gun to play with.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
what is an SPR?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Special Purpose Rifle (was Receiver originally.  

Basically, an accurized AR built by Crane NSWC and used by SOCOM in Afghanistan.  Do a search, there are dozens of posts on this.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For an SPR I would go with a brake and postban receiver.  
View Quote

what he said
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
why go with a brake? the picture shows a SPR with a can on it.....

[url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000020.html[/url]

if I ever get the bucks together, this is the kit I would build into a rifle........truthfully I think this looks a hell of a lot more evil. [:)]

[img]http://www.zmweapons.com/Lg_images/Preb16k.jpg[/img]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top