Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2003 5:36:57 PM EDT
Hello, I am trying for the first time to take off my handguard. I'm going to install the Harris bipos adapter so I can use the bipod. I tried like hell to pull down the ring and it doesn't seem to pull down far enough to release the handguards. Am I doing something wrong? Can anybody tell me the correct or better yet the easy way to take the handguards off. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I place the rifle butt-down and push down on the delta ring while pulling the handguard out.  It might help to have someone else pull on the HG while you push down on the D-ring.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Pull harder, and have a friend remove the guards.  It takes both hands to pull the delta ring down.

Failing that, they (the mysterious them) make a tool to make this a one-man job, Fulton Armory sells it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
First, tape up the delta ring to help prevent scratching. Then, pull down on ONE side of the delta ring,angling it down, and remove the handguards, one at a time. The heat shields should pop out, to install the adapter, and then snap back in.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really want to take it easy on your hands then I recommend getting one of these babies.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/hgd-tool.asp[/url]

If you play around with your handguards as much as I do then your hands will thank you for this.  This thing really does work great.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine always come off so much easier when I've got my upper seperated from the lower.  It gives me better leverage to remove the handguards.  I place the upper in my right hip/lap and pull back on the Delta ring, kind of angling it to one side.  Pop off one handguard, and then angle for the next.  Mine are easier than some I presume though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the above mentioned tool from Bushmaster. It works great, the handguards just fall off the gun in 10 seconds and you don't need three friends and a gorilla to accomplish it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top