Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 11:42:54 AM EDT
Hi everyone I know this question got kicked around a little, but I've always been into weapons in general just not this serious. Last year I went out and bought a K98 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. So now I want an AR and this is out of my league. I like the price (ALOT) of the Olympic Arms $499 deal in the Shotgun News, but I hear you get what you pay for.
On the other hand I don't have $7-800 for a better one.
I found a CAVALRY ARMS LOWER AT Shooters supply and was looking at a complete upper by DPMS. Can I SAFELY pin them together and make it work? I just want some something to use every now and then. Not a comp shooter just a plinker.
Please advise.
thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a problem with option B. I was even going to suggest that if you don't have more than 400-500 at the moment you could buy the weapon in stages if you are willing to pay the 600-900 necessarry for a quality rifle. This option might be a real blessing to you if the legislation takes a turn in our favor next year. In short, you could shell out about $250-400 for the QUALITY lower, and it's corresponding parts. Save another $300-500 for the upper and the stock later on down the road. If the legislation takes a turn for the better, then the stock you end up adding might be a 4 position collapsable and that upper a 16" with a threaded barrel, bayonet lug and flash suppressor. Now you have the weapon many have waited for a loooong time, and no money was wasted on a post ban barrel that you will end up replacing, etc.

If you are firm on the 400-600 price range your best bet IMO would be to buy a quality kit. Talk to the guys in the DIY section for their opinions on what might fit your budget.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your valued opinion.
The 2 pieces would have made a complete rifle for $600 $100 over my budget max. Not incl s/h and fees.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Option C if you aren't in a massive hurry.

Buy a stripped lower for $89.  Buy a kit for $450.  Assemble them yourself with the simple to follow instructions found here.  Loads of us have done this.  Or buy a few pieces at a time as you get the money.

I  have heard quite a few people say they like their Oly plinkers.  People bitch about the A1 sights, but that really isn't a big deal for most shooters.

To answer your other question, yes you can slap any lower on any upper and fire it safely.  The only problem for some people is that the colors might not match 100%, not that I really see that as a problem.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you again.
Problem with option C I don't mind working with my hands but too many little parts and little time to do it. I watch my #1 during the day while #2 is in school.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that mine used to sleep....  You could always do it then!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sleep? What's that? Even at 3 she's a force to reckoned with.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't take very long. I know young children can be challenging, but if you can find a few minutes here and there, and you have a place to work, it's a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Option C if you aren't in a massive hurry.

Buy a stripped lower for $89.  Buy a kit for $450.  Assemble them yourself with the simple to follow instructions found here.  Loads of us have done this.  Or buy a few pieces at a time as you get the money.

I  have heard quite a few people say they like their Oly plinkers.  People bitch about the A1 sights, but that really isn't a big deal for most shooters.
View Quote

The Oly kits are now A2.
[url]http://www.olyarms.com/pcrkits.html[/url]
Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get a whole Cavalry Arms rifle here for $599:

[url]http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/[/url]

I've been thinking about this myself...'course I don't have the money hehehe...but why should that stop me.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
GO TO A GUN SHOW!!! I just bought a new Olympic flattop with a bull barrel and free float handgaurd for $620. You can find new guns with less features for closer to your price or a used one for that much all day long.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually I'm going to my first one this weekend in Valley Forge,PA.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Medic,

If I were you I would order a Eagle Arms forged reciever from Quantico Arms for 100 dollars + 5bucks shipping.

Then I would order a 16 or 20" complete kit from JT distributing for 438.00 +10 bucks shipping.

You'll be in the rifle for 553 dollars and you will learn a lot about the rifle.  Tge Oly your looking at is probably a cast lower and has A1 sights.  I would pay the extra and get the forged lower and A2 sights.  Forged is stronger and will last a bit longer.  The A2 sights is the standard that we in the Marine Corps use.

DPMS, Rock River, Calvalry Arms, Bushmaster, Eagle Arms and even the Oly Forged lowers are good to go.  It's a matter of choice.

I hope this helps.

[sniper2]
[marines]

Max
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top