Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2003 11:25:14 AM EDT
i was thinking of getting the RRA varminter upper and was wondering how hard, it possible, it would be to bolt on or attach a rail on the bottom of the FF tube to make it into a really poor mans spr. so i can ad my arms quick release harris bi-pod.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You can mount a harris bypod with out any rails or other equipment. The free float tube has a sling attatchment point on it. The Harris can mount directly to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why mess with a heavy upper for an spr?? Why not buy an spr upper, also. BTW I have a Harris on the front sling stud on my RRA 24" Varminter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
"just once id like to be called 'sir' without someone add youre making a scene'."
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
so pardon the fuck out of me, and bioya.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
i have been looking at this too, wanting to put some rails on my hiperform carbon fiber handguard.

you can buy rails from fulton armory. look in their handguards section. it doesn;t look like it from the website, but they will sell them without the handguards (you'll see what i mean when you look at the site.) just drop them an email.

[url]http://www.fulton-armory.com[/url]

steve at [url]adcofirearms.com[/url] makes, sells, and will mount rails to plain tubes. he will also mount rails you supply.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Guntoting Spartan,

It should be pretty easy to attach a rail. And no sh*t, just answer the question people, then give alternatives.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
A bipod does not make an SPR upper.[>:/]

The correct bipod will readily attach to the RRA Varmint upper as is.  You can likely attach a rail to the FF handguard, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

It would likely be easier to buy the correct bipod for the application instead of adapting a rail to the FF tube, then mounting the bipod.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Jes** F***ing Ch**st Shivan458 can't you just answer the question? [;)]

Sometimes people do not realize the the questions they ask are not a solution to the problem, but rather a problem to a solution.

Edited to put the wink in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, we could all just say "fuck off" -- try it yourself then come back and tell us how it works.[;)]

Up to you...[:D]

Maybe if more people would ask specific "yes or no" questions when they want "yes or no" type answers.......[whacko]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny, I thought Guntoting Spartan's question was specific.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Funny, I thought Guntoting Spartan's question was specific.
View Quote

Interesting how little I cared what you thought.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I think JP makes what you are looking for:

http://www.jprifles.com/FreeFloatTubeSystem.shtml

The rail costs $39, the fancy tube $150. Looks like a very nice tube. You and me got a plain old black tube that is stuck on in one position.

So, measure carefully before drilling any holes! Drill, tap, done. If you have never tapped a hole, it's easy.

Murphy's law being what it is, you will probably end up with extra holes in some odd places. Bust out the JB Weld, sandpaper and Rustoleum paint. Big deal.

You can do this with hand tools, easy.

Pete
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Spend $40 more in all that jazz to attach the rail and junk, you can buy the regular Harris BR 6"-9" bipod for $70.

Not really a direct answer though...huh?

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
burp
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
jesus people i already have a $230 bipod set up that uses the an arms quick detach. OK OK OK maybe adding in SPR was a mistake but i still dont see why no-one seems able to just answer a simple, direct, and straight forward question?

its like asking "Hey can i add a better turbo to my 911?"

and answer "just buy a corvette"

????
View Quote

Alright, so assume you want to buy the new RRA Varmint upper and add a rail:

You will need to lay out $450-$500 for the upper. $40 for the "add-on" rail.  Do you have a tap and die set? If not, you will need another $30-$50 for just the one tap and die for the holes you are drilling in the aluminum handguard.  It isn't really all that hard, but seems like a lot of trouble to go through so you can use an, extremely expensive, $230 bipod.

Or you can order the RRA Varmint upper from them with a 4 rail gas block up front and attach the bipod to the block, but at that point the bipod is a function of the barrel.  I.E. no longer free floating.

So, I am back to my suggestion of getting the RRA Varmint upper, which is VERY nice BTW, and getting a $70 Harris Bipod that links to the sling stud on the free float handguard.  Then use your $230 bipod on a gun that has the rail already built in.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i was thinking of getting the RRA varminter upper and was wondering how hard, it possible, it would be to bolt on or attach a rail on the bottom of the FF tube to make it into a really poor mans spr. so i can ad my arms quick release harris bi-pod.

View Quote

G_S,
understand your frustration but carefully read your original post........"how hard/it possible......." ain't terribly specific nor grammatically correct.  Maybe rephrase your question to be very specific ??  Also the fact that you have $230 already invested is NEW information.  Now we understand one of the factors that's driving your decision.

No flame intended.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]
"just once id like to be called 'sir' without someone add 'youre making a scene'."

well nevermind, hes right (below me), well thanks for the help AND other ways to do it.

ah thanks mug
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Midol for everyone!

When I ask questions on this board, I appreciate differing opinions and options offered by the members. I don't know everything. I know there are other options that I may have missed or not considered.

All need to chill out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, now I'M getting PO'd! Somebody said you would pay $30-$50 for a TAP!!! Aarg! Try $2.25 and use a rusty old vicegrips to hold it!

Some people deserve to pay $250 for a forend!

Pete

PS- Contender weaver rail might work nice- $6.29 from MidSouth- I'd shim with JBWELD for rock solid fit, then paint it nice with a Sharpie marker. Then take it out, and get it dirty.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK, now I'M getting PO'd! Somebody said you would pay $30-$50 for a TAP!!! Aarg! Try $2.25 and use a rusty old vicegrips to hold it!
View Quote

PO'd?  Why, because I buy quality tools, not whatever is in the discount bin at Walmart?  I paid $200 for my tap and die set.  I happen to like Klein tools, but they aren't cheap.

PO'd?

How silly.[rolleyes]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top