Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2003 10:01:07 AM EDT
Ok, this is my first post, so im probably gonna ask a normal question that gets asked alot, but i couldnt find what i was looking for thru the search.  

My questions are:
1. Are there any big differences between pre ban and post in terms of shooting quality, and accuracy?

2. I Have priced out a Olympic Arms, CAR-97M4 for 699.00 or a CAR-97M4A3 for 778.00   I would havet o include my FFL fee.  So to my Question;
Are these riffle of good quality for the price.  Do Olympic Arms have any know defects that i should worry about?  

Thanx for the help in answering my questions.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, welcome.

1. No.

2. I have no personal experience with Oly. However, there is a strong contengent of people who like their products a great deal. There are also some people who don't care for them that much. Just keep an open mind, and you should be all set.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick Response.  I Just started looking around, since I now have the money together to get one finaly.  I have wanted a ar-15 since I was 12, because after I shot one, I was hooked. Now 10 years later i have the money to get 1, im going for it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Look out, you cant have just one. That is how I started, one rifle, then a mag or two. Next thing you know you are taking loose change to gunshows to pick up more paraphanilia.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey bro, welcome to the club, or as we call it, the "sickness".  Anyways, I recommend gettting a Bushmaster.  Their ARs are of very high quality and they have a great service department.  Also, you might want to take some time and decide on what kind of AR to get, such as 20 incher or 16 incher, Hbar (heavy barrel) or no Hbar, A2 upper or A3 upper (flattop).  I can promise you one thing, the first AR you buy will not be the last.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Well i know im going for a 16" because i really like the M4 Style.  THe barrel i dont know bout yet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
If this moronic McCarthy bill should ever pass, all "post-ban" weapons will be made illegal meaning that $700 you spent was for nothing.  Assuming it doesn't pass, it's a matter of preference.. if you can live without a collapsible stock, flash hider, bayonett lug, etc., then get a post-ban.  In my experience, however, having a post-ban is the equivalent of having a small penis at the range.  Before you know it you'll wish you had spent a few more bucks on a pre-ban.  If the ban sunsets, you can build it into a pre-ban configuration.  If it doesn't sunset, you're stuck with it and most likely will wish you had bought a pre-ban as its value will be worth triple what you paid for it.  I'm not a supporter of making money off of the ban, but regardless of how much you spend, it's an investment and you don't want to waste your money on something you may regret.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh and PS. Olympic Arms is a very good quality rifle, preferred by most of the law enforcement types I know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Bigedmond,

Here is my take on your question.  

Buy a lower receiver for under $100, if you need to pay your FFL, or pay sales tax, it would only be on a small portion.  Your FFL shouldn't want more than $20 or so either way.  There are quality lowers being sold here for $89 shipped to your FFL.

Next look through the J&T Distributing or Model Ones Sales, or similar website that sells AR15 kits.  A full kit with all parts will run you about $450.

Download the AR15 assembly instructions from this site.  If you have ever assembled a snap together model as a kid, you will have no problems with your AR15 kit.  The upper receivers are preassembled, so you don't have to worry about special tools or anything.

If you like the M4 look, or the CAR15 look, then buy it.  Next year if and when the AWB expires, simply spend the $60 and get an adjustable stock then.  You can also send your barrel off and get a real flash sup as well.

For $550 and a little time of your own, you can have your first AR15.  Of course if you shop around and don't mind waiting, I just hepled a buddy assemble a kit gun.  His shopping got him a CAR15 for $325!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of folks on here would tell you to learn your ABR's. ArmaLite, Bushmaster, Rock River. Oly comes in second to these three. Sunsetting of the AWB is a dream. Nothing more stricter, but closing loopholes. Buy receivers while you can. Same thing with GI magazines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd have to disagree with you about Rock River.  They're a fairly new company and while I haven't had any problems with their rifles, I think Olympic Arms is right up there with the other two.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I posted this on the BIY board, but I think it could help you.  From what I've heard, RRA is good quality for not as much money.

Here are a couple of options:

1) Buy a stripped lower (http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544) for $89 and a kit from J&T for around 450-500. That takes a little work to put the lower together, but in the end you have a good gun by all accounts here.

2) Check out Adco firearms on the industry board. There you can buy a complete lower for 210 and a complete upper for 370, and shipping is $4. Add a $20 FFL transfer fee and you have a gun for $604 and you have the ever so challenging task of putting the upper on the lower.  There you have yourself a complete, new, RRA black rifle in whatever configuration youw want.

Those are the options I'm considering for my next project. Hope it helps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top