Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 8:58:07 AM EDT
I was shooting at the range and kept having jamming problems.  I noticed that pieces of casing were in the locking lug area causing the bolt not to close all the way.  I also found a new in box round with a bad primer.  The worst I've ever seen.  I can post a pic on request.  The primer was not seated properly and was half crushed.  Scary.  I will not be using this ammo anymore.  Just a word of advice for the newbies.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, everyone says S&B is trash.
Look in the ammo FAQ, they have a pic of what happens with inferior ammo
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
not everyone, I shoot the mint green box w/o a problem on my Bushy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have put ~800 rounds of mint green S&B thru my Bushy with only 1 FFT. My gun loves the stuff. I get much tighter groups with it than I do with the Federal American Eagle .223. For the price I don't think you can beat it, unless your particular weapon doesn't care for it. Haven't heard any opinions about reloading the brass as of yet.

Shabo
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one case of S&B when I got my new AR-15 a year ago and haven't bought any since.  Out of the 1000 rounds, 10 failed to go boom on the first strike, but fired when struck again.

The event that made me swear off S&B is when a round fired, but the next round failed to chamber.  Did all of the clearing drills, failed and eventually had to open up AR.  Found the fired primer popped out and landed in the locking lug area.  After using the forward assist too much, the primer was really crushed and stuck.  It took a dentist probe to get it out.

I will never buy S&B again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've fired several thousand rounds of S&B 9mm without a hitch.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard many positive remarks about their rifle cartridges.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gone through 1,000 rounds of the .223 without an issue one.  Must have been made on Wednesday or my rifles are just not that picky.

I don't recall the lot numbers but the lot I had was not one of the problem lots talked about on this board.

I wouldn't go out of my way for S&B but would buy it again if the price was right.  I bought mine for $150 1,000 rounds no shipping and tax included.

Tj
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing I should note is that I have shot approx. 1,000 rounds of Black Hills Blue Box without one failure.  Other than a failure to feed due to my crappy bushmaster magazine.  I have been using the polymer ones ever since and have not had any more feeding problems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot it all the time. I'll shoot the rest of yours if you dont want it. Never had a prob.
GG
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Mint green ss109 here no prob.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've shot 1000s of rounds of S&B 9mm, .40, and .45 w/o 1 FTF or FTE...no problems of any kind.  I've shot a little of their .223, also with no problems.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]
 No probs either out of any of my AR's my M96 or any others either.  Try a few different brands and see if you have similar probs.  Could have been the lot of ammo or it could be an issue with the weapon...though I have NO idea what it would be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ll take S&B [b]ANY[/b] time.
It’s never failed me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Got a couple thousand downrange.  Outside of a blue moon dud, no probs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think it was a gun malfunction since all other ammo works fine.  Also I don't think the gun is causing the primer to explode and leave pieces in the lockup area.  I have had this happem approximately 10 times in 500rnds.  Last time I will buy it.  Could have been a bad batch etc.  I don't think Czec made ammo has the best Quality Assurance program.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shot several thousand rounds of S&B in 9mm, 7.62 x 25, 45 and mint green box 223, have not had any problems whatsoever. (M15A2) It shoots as well as American Eagle and is not dirty like some dealers that do not stock it would tell you. I have had minor problems with Winchester and that South African fodder.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top