Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 12:27:42 AM EDT
Hello
I understand how a single stage trigger works.  Please explain to me how a 2 stage works.  Also what is the advantage of one over the others?
Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi.  If you've ever shot an MP-5, that is a (radical) two stage trigger.  A two stage trigger has built in "slop".  In other words, as you start pulling the trigger, you can feel it creep to the point where it is about to release the sear, and it sort of stops.  Pressure beyond that stop point is "bang" time.

You could also kind of think of it as the feel of a really well tuned revolver, but (same with the MP-5) it's not that long and protracted.

As an editorial, I like them O.K.  I have one on a BM that started life out as a Varminter and turned into a hybrid VMatch Carbine.  I also have an old Colt HBAR that has the standard Colt trigger.

In my world, it's not that big of a deal.  But I'm not a target shooter or a sniper either.  Believe me (and forgive me if you already know this), if you're taking rounds, trigger pull is NOT a factor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
To clarify.  The two stage trigger was developed for more accurate shooting.  Since it is unsafe to have a trigger pull below 4.5 lbs, (unsafe to some, others will have different opinions), the two stage trigger will acomplish this.  Instead of a single engagement surface, the two stage has two.  The first takes the majority of pull and poundage.  The second is much less, and it is the part that controls the letoff.  So, a 4.5 lb pull could have 4lbs on the first stage, and .5 lbs on the second stage.

If you go to armalite.com, then click on catalog, then rifle componants, you can see a 2 stage trigger.  The hammer has a much different look.  

HTH

TXL
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top