Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2003 3:21:28 PM EDT
at drill this weekend, we got new gear for our M4s.  we got knights armament rails installed, and some knights armament fore-grips.  we got TRGear flightlight mounts, M203A2s, and some stupid new collapsable stock, too.

the rail system is kinda cool, but I'm not sure just how useful it will be.

the fore-grips could be cool, but definitely will take some getting used to.

the flashlight holders are dumb, but they can old knives, too, so you could use two or three bayonets if you wanted, I guess.

the new 203s are pretty neat, b/c now our 203 gunners don't have to carry M16A2s, but can use M4s.  they're also user-removable, so now we have more stuff for joe to clean.

the new buttstocks are useless.  they're more similar to an A2 buttstock, but it's still collapseable.  the dumbest thing is they put the sling mount back on the bottom, which nobody is going to use because it's better on top anyway.  the old ones worked just fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
they don't really feel any different.  they don't seem to weigh any different.  nobody I talked to made any mention about whether they felt any different, either.  nobody I talked to thought the sling mount on the bottom was useful.

we figured they must be somewhat sturdier or something, to have a utility over the old ones.  then again, they might have been upgraded for no other reason than because the BC felt like doing it, too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the new buttstocks are useless.  they're more similar to an A2 buttstock, but it's still collapseable.  the dumbest thing is they put the sling mount back on the bottom, which nobody is going to use because it's better on top anyway.  the old ones worked just fine.
View Quote

What do you mean "they're more similar to an A2 buttstock, but, it's still collapsible"? How can it be like an A2 buttstock and be collasible? Are they just like the old ones just ribbed and w/ a sling mount on the bottom. Don't they also lack the slot on top as well? We are talking M4 stocks right?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's the M4 buttstock it should be 6-position instead of 4-position, and ribbed for your pleasure (and durability).  I don't see why you would ever need a 6-position stock though..seems like it'd be a waste of time trying to find the right setting in a combat situation.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
From my understanding, when I was still with the 3rd ID. The new style collapsable stock is suppose to solve the problem of the old style telestock breaking in half during a buttstroke. Possible a useless feature, but supposedly the new style can split skulls just as good as an m16 buttstock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it's the M4 buttstock it should be 6-position instead of 4-position, and ribbed for your pleasure (and durability).  I don't see why you would ever need a 6-position stock though..seems like it'd be a waste of time trying to find the right setting in a combat situation.
View Quote

Often units/dept.'s will change out just the furniture, not the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
is the new one aluminum then?  i thought i saw them in plastic as well.  really any aluminum buttstock would crack a skull adequately.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
we've never had 6-position stocks.  I think those were for the CAR-15 or the XM-177.  but the M4 uses a 4-position stock.  I also think i twas the CAR or the XM that used the aluminum one, too.  to the best of my knowledge, the M4 (and especially ours) have always had plastic stocks.

M4Real describes it pretty closely.  the new stocks we got are textured on the back so that they "feel" like an A2 one (except without the trapdoor) and have the sling mount on the bottom.  they no longer have the slot in the top, but the cut just under the buffer tube is still there so you can still rig up a top mounted sling.

they look like they might be more durable, so they might have been originally designed to withstand buttstrokes better.  sounds like a good theory.

I wish I'd brought my camera with me, then I could have gotten pictures for you all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The newer buttpad is longer and slanted for comfort. I like it better.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Like this?:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4453[/img]

Colt on top, RRA on bottom, both sans the bottom swing swivel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Post some picture of your new cool Gear ?? [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Post some picture of your new cool Gear ?? [bounce]
View Quote
didn't have my camera with me, so it unfortunately isn't an option.  maybe I'll remember to bring it to AT, since I get to be a staff puke (they took my platoon away!)

and yes lumpy, that looks like it.  only I don't think we're allowed to take the sling mount off [:(]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Its attached by a screw....screws come loose.

OOOPSIE! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
okay, here's some pics I ripped off some webpages:
the flashlight mounts:
[url]https://www.faulttolerantemail.com/trgear/getgear/up_images/2pics.jpg[/url]
(boardcode won't include it as an image because it's an https link)

the knights armament webpage is having problems with the products section, so this is stolen from elsewhere:
[img]http://www.jtdistributing.com/pics/M-4_ras.jpg[/img]
(yoinked from [url]www.jtdistributing.com[/url])

the foregrip attached to the rail:
[img]http://www.blackrain7.com/loadout/armoury/M4/M4upgrade.JPEG[/img]
(yoinked from [url]www.blackrain7.com[/url]'s review of an Airsoft M4)

the M203A2, mounted on an M4 without the rail system.  it's also got our new stock in the picture:
[img]http://www.colt.com/mil/images/M203.jpg[/img]
(taken from colt's military products page)

okay, I think that's it.  like I said before, I'll try to get real pictures of it at AT while I'm wasting my time as a staff puke.

and edited to add:  I can't do something like "oops" my sling adapter off because I have to set the example, and I don't want joe to lose stuff unnecessarily.  now, if my soldiers happen to "lose" it, all they have to do is fill out the appropriate form (5589?  I don't remember the number, but I know the form) or make sure it's attached when it goes back in the arms room.  there would be no disciplinary action.  personally, I just won't use it, that's all.  it'll sit there and look all ugly and stuff, and I won't really care too much about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top