Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2003 8:52:18 AM EDT
All this talk of light weight makes my stomach turn. Most of us on this website are not cops, or in the military, I drive to the range, to spotlight and to gopher/coyote hunt. I will never carry my AR more than a 1/4 mile. So whats the big deal! My 14.5 hbar with ARMS #45, A2 stock, vertical grip and aimpoint is probably pushing 10 pounds with two loaded 30 rounders attached. I need a heavy ass light and some lead weights. I wish it was heavier! Next upper will be a 24" heavy barrel with full length SIR, bibod and giant heavy scope. I bet I could get it over 12lbs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My Bushmaster Varminter with 24" fluted barrel, Bausch & Lomb scope, Harris bipod and empty 30 rd clip weighs 12 lb. on the bathroom scales.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Fly-fly, now thats what i'm talking about! Can anbody beat 13+lbs?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My 20" bull barrel ar15 weighs 9 1/2 lbs without the mount and scope on it, and it is quite heavy enough as it is......the 223 is not a magnum so don't need any more weight to shoot it......
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an AR-15 loaded with a very heavy 24" barrel, Zeiss scope, weaver mounts, with a 3lb light on the front, and the magazines clamped together, when loaded, the total weight was 14 pounds, 3 ounces. There is virtually no reason for me to carry it anywhere between my car and the front door, so I loaded it up with everything. You can get circular lead weights with small holes drilled in the center that weigh three pounds each from Menards or Home Depot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I like heavy hunting rifles like a remmy 700 but not AR15's. Don't get me wrong I love my Bushy 20" HBAR but would prefer a gov't profile barrel. It's not the weight that bothers me, especially after being in the military where we would hump with a lot more than a rifle for up to 75 miles. My problem is the feel, and balance of 20" HBAR equipped AR15's. I don't like an overly front heavy AR15 like HBAR as much because I shot and carried an M16A1-2 for years and my first AR15 had the A1 pencil barrel. Over time I have grown accustomed to the lighter barreled AR's and that's what I am(was) used to shooting.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Lotboy has a Heavy ass rifle!  AR15-A3 tactical carbing with KAC RAS Fever!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lotboy has a Heavy ass rifle!  AR15-A3 tactical carbing with KAC RAS Fever!
View Quote

It is heavy but has little recoil.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
My varmint AR15 weighs in at about 15 pounds unloaded weight.

Stainless steel lower, 24 inch JP Enterprises upper, Harris "sitting" bipod, and the adjustable 3way buttplate all weigh it down to "pig weight".

Still with the amount of accuracy it can deliver it's worth hauling the thing around for shooting 300+ yard squirrels.   It's weight in combination with the JP brake make it absolutely recoiless, only a bit of "buffer slap" causes the reticle pattern to jiggle off target by about 1/4 inch at 100 yards when shooting from a sandbag rested position.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Uglygun, I think you might be the winner. 15lbs will be hard to beat, and thats empty weight. I wonder what kind of performance you could ring out of 26" heavy varmit barrel? I bet that would bring the weight up to 17+lbs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Uglygun, I think you might be the winner. 15lbs will be hard to beat, and thats empty weight. I wonder what kind of performance you could ring out of 26" heavy varmit barrel? I bet that would bring the weight up to 17+lbs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/jpar.html[/url]

Well, eventually my AR10 will be buit up as well following the accurized AR15 as closely as possible.   The AR10 will probably come in a pound or two heavier, especially if I use an ARMS rifle length SIR if they bring one out for the AR10.

There are a few others on the forum that have rifles as heavy as mine, some are DCM/CMP type service match rifles with lead added to them.    My big bastard just landed at 15 pounds though without any actual intention to add weight.    Works like a champ too, averages 10 shot groups in the 3/4 inch range with some of my better handloads which really aren't anything special.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of compensator/brake is that?  Never seen the likes of it before.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.jprifles.com/[/url]

Touted as being one of the more effective muzzle brake designs out there, I'd believe it too.   After years of owning the thing and shooting other brake'd rifles, the JP Enterprises brake seems to have the most pronounced "blast back" of both sound and debris of any muzzle brake I've ever encountered.     From low and prone that brake will pick pebbles off the ground and kick them straight back in your face, that's after a 24inch barrel has brought the gas pressures down to a bit lower level.   I'd hate to see that brake on a 14.5 inch barreled gun.

It's said to really take the bite out of Magnums like the 300WinMag too...

I've only shot that varmint AR15 a total of 2 times without hearing protection, both were by accident and I swore I would never deliberately fire the thing without hearing protection if I had any say about it.    And this is coming from somebody who's got one of the 14.5 inch Bushmasters with the AK74 brake on it...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
My match rifle is aobut 16.5 pounds with the iron sights installed and 18 pounds with the scope.  The barrel is 24 inches long, 0.933 at the muzzle, 0.935 at the gas block.

It's too heavy, and I will shoot for about 12 to 13 pounds when the gun is rebarreled.

It's also extremely accurate with the 3 groove Lilja barrel and Lou Andrews' "tweaks".
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]
20 inch heavy barrel RRA varmit......heavy, heavy, heavy......no scale in the house. I can tell you this because it hurts to hold that sum a bitch up for any length of time.

but pop out the harris benchrest bipod and damn that thing is a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
man, when I saw this thread and started reading... I was thinking to myself, I have to get uglygun to post a picture of his. I have seen pics of that thing here for more than 3 or 4 years. I always thought it was really bad-a$$. I always remembered the 15 pound weight too! Hahaha! Uglygun, you win... again!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Heh, thx.    I still can't believe how long I've had the thing, it still seems like just yesterday when I was excited as all get out on how I was going to build it up.

Back then JP Enterprises was pretty much the biggest "ohhhhh, ahhhh" maker of accurized rifles.   Rifle's almost 6 years old and it's shot like a champ and killed many a VarmintCong...

Next up is the AR10, I'm thinking of having George Gardner do a 260 Remington upper for it.    The AR10 would easily approach the varmint AR15's weight just in a rather standard config.    But I REALLY want ARMS to make a rifle length SIR for the AR10, that's what I would likely use on the accurized upper as it's freefloat tube.

I still can't wait to make a "walking gun" that's a little more convienent.   Getting in and out of my truck while out varminting can get a little tiresome when your main stick is 48+ inches long.    The SPR thing might be the route I take if the AW ban sunsets, will take one of my 2 Bushmasters and turn it into something SPR like.

Ahhh, the lengths I will goto in my war against the varmintcong.    Great pic from the Subguns folks...
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/sales/websize/DSC01244.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I know I've been posting pics of this all over the place, Im sorry. But I really am so happy with it.

Its really not all that heavy at all. Unloaded it is pretty much exactly 12 pounds.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pbb50eeb6d38681a89b41eca82d26f3da/fc13e3c2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pe1e03d6db826d9dcf65bd37197caa904/fc129802.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It's too bad I live in Ca.   I would love to have one of the CavArms lowers to build my walking gun, would do a freefloated carbine SP1 profile barrel for it's upper with a 4.5-14x LongRange Leupold.

Back to heavy weights.   LONG ago SameShot had built a custom stock for one of his AR15s.   That damned thing was like 18 pound unloaded weight because of the tubing he used for the stock.   It was VERY similar to that ACE Skeleton stock, predacessor by about 4 years or so atleast....

Funny, I never see him posting around here much anymore even though it shows him as moderator for the Tactics/training forum.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top