BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2003 12:11:31 PM EDT
What Ya Think??

I have a Nice Submariner Sitting Over Here and it's starting to look like a Couple of new Ar15's ??

I already have a few AR15's but I need more !!!!

Have I Lost it Or What ?

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had a couple of ARs already and the Rolex, I'd keep it.  I hate selling stuff - I'd rather wait a little longer to get the new stuff I want.

On the other hand, I don't have a Rolex, and I don't imagine I'll ever buy one, considering the costs of my other hobbies.  Timex has always done the job for me.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell it.  Get more ARs.  You can't go wrong with more and more black rifles.  Hell, get a 9mm and a 7.62
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you [size=6][red][b]NUTZ?[/size=6][/red][/b]  IF you sell it how are you gonna tell it's time to go shooting[:D]

Seriously, don't ever sell nice stuff. Only buy.
My Rolex is one of my prize posessions next to my Wife[:D]...........and the dogs, my M1 and the M1a and of course my Colts........and.................[:D]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT sell it...you will be sorry down the road. Terrrato is right on, just hold tight and the AR will come in time.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it, because from what i've seen (I've been shopping for a Presidential) their resale is terrible.  I've seen 95%-98% used Rolexs selling for 50% below retail(not MSRP).  I just sold my Rolex, a Oyster Datejust to upgrade to the Presidential. Its a beautiful watch. I'm still looking for another Rolex, jut waiting for the deal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If it be me, I'd sell that Rolex and buy more ARs.  A simple Timex Ironman will do the same thing as the Rolex, and maybe even more....trust me.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, Maybe I better Hold.
Sooner or later my Wife will let me get more AR's.
I have a couple complete Pre Ban's and two Pre Ban Lowers that need New Uppers.

I'll just hold off !!! [:(]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it be me, I'd sell that Rolex and buy more ARs.  A simple Timex Ironman will do the same thing as the Rolex, and maybe even more....trust me.  [:D]
View Quote

Actually your Timex is probably more accurate than the Rolex sad to say.  Even the Sieko keeps more accurate time.[shock]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Rolex's are ugly (in my opinion). I much prefer my Movado. It keeps perfect time. I would buy really good optics or free-float the barrels in your AR's.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
F*** the watch.  [SNIPER]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
When did a Rolex save someone's life in danger??? Get an AR my man!!! AR baby !!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You forget, or don't know why wrist watches were invented.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you defend yourself with a watch? I thought not.

AR-15
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The wife has mentioned more than once that I need a Rolex. The subject is dropped when I show her a picture of a gun that I had rather have. I have a Timex that works great if I need a watch.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Criminals will come after you because of the Rolex, but you'll be able to fend them off with an AR...

Politicians will come after you because of the ARs, but you can pawn the Rolex to fend [i]them[/i] off...

If you really have such a hard problem choosing, then send the Rolex to me and I'll help you decide. [:D]

I'd say to sell the Rolex, get a Luminox Seals watch, and save the rest of the cash until 1. SHTF, 2. you see some accessories you REALLY want, 3. You care to donate to the Help Leelaw Feed His new AR Fund. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Got two of one and five of the other. No reason not to have both. One impresses some people and one other people
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you [size=6][red][b]NUTZ?[/size=6][/red][/b]  IF you sell it how are you gonna tell it's time to go shooting[:D]
View Quote

Simple.  You are awake.

If dark just bring NVG or a flashlight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Guns. Time is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't you have a cell phone with the time on it?
I don't even wear a watch anymore. Of course I don't do dangerous highly synchronized missions either.
            Tom
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
more guns , buy an M1a
sell the watch, i wear a timex ironman if i drop it,lose or break no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it a pre-ban Rolex?  If not, sell it and get more AR's.....for the children.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a Post Ban Submariner only about 2 years old and I better hold on to it !! I was just going to tell my wife I lost it !!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#24]
DONT DO IT!!! ARs are wonderful, but so is your sub.. I wear a GMT 16750 from 1984 just completely redone by Rolex. New Dial, hands, bezel insert etc, (thus my AR 15.com handle). My GMT, like my ARs will outlast me and probably my kids.. Keep em both.. John
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Oddly enough, the only other item I enjoy and sort of collect aside from Surefire lights and AR15's is watches. I dont have any as nice as a Rolex, but I wouldnt want to sell any of the ones I do have.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If the AR & the Rolex got into it, which would come out on top? You pick the winner.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I have 6 AR's now, but only 3 Rolex's.  A Datejust, Day-date, and Submariner.  I have had the blue-faced Datejust since 1974 when I was in college.  I have worn it everywhere.  To Europe, Middle East, Asia.  I wore it into the Arctic circle when I was bear hunting with my brother.  When I went to the Amazon rainforest and Peruvian mountains back in the mid seventies, it was my best piece of gear, and one of the most essential.  I wore it to several desert expeditions, up in the Rocky mountains, fishing in the Great Lakes and in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, and even deer hunting in Michigan at my wifes grandparents' house.  

I look at this watch and remember all those good times I had, like sharing a sundowner  drink with my brother who is now deceased (100% disabled Army vet).  I rember wearing it while butchering deer every year while grandmother looked on and complained about how skinny and sickly the deer was, even though they ate every little piece of it during the winters when they couldn't leave the house.  I remember  drinks in Old Town San Deigo where I checked the time on it...as well as in dowtown Athens Greece, or Cairo Egypt looking at the pyramids while eating dinner, or in Machu Pichu Peru, seeing how long it will be til dark.  My parents were both still alive when I bought it.  To this day, every now and then when my eye falls on it, I get remembering those past happy times.  At night when I take it off, it's like having an old friend next to me, especially when I'm in a strange town.  As much as I love my firearms, you can't take them with you every minute of every day.  They are more like tools. Keep the watch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]
greco,
Good post and well said.
My grandmother passed away in 1969 and left me the princely sum of $300.  At the time I could not get much of a car with that much, besides I would have shortly parted with the car anyway.  I thought long and hard about what I could get with the money and finally chose a watch.  At that time (1970) a new Rolex had just come out: the Sea Dweller.  Cousteau had been involved with the development and testing of this watch and its gas escape valve.  I was not aware of this, or Rolex in general, at the time.  All I knew was a friend of mine had worked all summer to buy a Rolex GMT, and he considered it one of his most prized possessions.  So I bought the Sea Dweller:  $300 (+sales tax) MSRP at a high end jewelry store on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills.  The newer version of that watch is now close to $4000.  I still have that watch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Greco & Triggerfish, Great Post's !!!!
You guys were starting to Choke Me All Up !!!!!
I'm going to hold this Watch !!!!!
Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#30]
In the previous posts, they are mentioning watches that have true sentimental value.  I can understand their wanting to keep those watches.  However, in the situation that there is no intrinsic sentimental value (if there were, would he have considered selling it in the first place?) I see a rolex as a pure waste.  I wear a timex expedition.  It does everything a rolex does and doesn't cost a fortune.  I don't think about what watch I was wearing when I was in Korea.  I don't think about what watch I was wearing when I climbed Mt. Fuji.  I don't think about what watch I was wearing when I was sitting at the State department when someone runs into the office and tells us that the shuttle Challenger blew up.  I remember where I was when the World Trade Center was attacked (both times).  I remember what and when with the plaques and photos on the wall.  I remember from the scars on my body.  I remember with the letters I recieve from friends.  

So, in my opinion, unless this watch has a strong sentimental value to you, get rid of the watch and buy something functional and not over priced.  Then use the remainder of the money to buy some more fire arms related items.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]
One mans junk is another mans treasure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
A Rolex is a precision mechanical instrument. You have to wear a Rolex to appreciate the weight, feel and craftsmanship.

An AR15 is a precision mechanical instrument also.

Wear your Rolex when you shoot your AR15s.

(BTW I have a few ARs to trade if you want to trade your for you Rolex)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Sell the Rolex and get an Omega Seamaster Pro Automatic AND an AR-15. You'll really like the Seamaster a lot better than the Rolex anyway - it's better-looking, better quality and more comfortable - plus, there are no $10 knock-offs of it - they can't make a cheap curved crystal. Check the selling prices on ebay and you'll see how the figures come out. Seamasters go for around $1000 used and perfect, so you could easily get one or two ARs for the difference.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Well if you believe in guns, in part, to protect personal property.  Just make sure you keep some personal property to protect.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Never sell your stuff. If you cant throw it away, it is not something you should sell.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody ever got laid for wearing a Timex

[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll stick with my 50 year old gold Longines.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have 6 AR's now, but only 3 Rolex's.  A Datejust, Day-date, and Submariner.  I have had the blue-faced Datejust since 1974 when I was in college.  I have worn it everywhere.  To Europe, Middle East, Asia.  I wore it into the Arctic circle when I was bear hunting with my brother.  When I went to the Amazon rainforest and Peruvian mountains back in the mid seventies, it was my best piece of gear, and one of the most essential.  I wore it to several desert expeditions, up in the Rocky mountains, fishing in the Great Lakes and in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, and even deer hunting in Michigan at my wifes grandparents' house.  

I look at this watch and remember all those good times I had, like sharing a sundowner  drink with my brother who is now deceased (100% disabled Army vet).  I rember wearing it while butchering deer every year while grandmother looked on and complained about how skinny and sickly the deer was, even though they ate every little piece of it during the winters when they couldn't leave the house.  I remember  drinks in Old Town San Deigo where I checked the time on it...as well as in dowtown Athens Greece, or Cairo Egypt looking at the pyramids while eating dinner, or in Machu Pichu Peru, seeing how long it will be til dark.  My parents were both still alive when I bought it.  To this day, every now and then when my eye falls on it, I get remembering those past happy times.  At night when I take it off, it's like having an old friend next to me, especially when I'm in a strange town.  As much as I love my firearms, you can't take them with you every minute of every day.  They are more like tools. Keep the watch.
View Quote

It would seem that you sir, have never had to give much thought as to which things you should buy and which things you should go without.  If I had a Rolex (and I never will) I would trade it in a heartbeat for something useful like MANY guns.  I've had the same watch for years and years, and it cost me 50 bucks.  My memories aren't as extravagant and luxurious or adventuresome as yours, but just the same, my watch was there.  

To the original author of the thread:  I'm POSITIVE you could sell the watch, buy some guns, and STILL buy a nice watch that you could keep forever and covet as much as the Rolex.  But that's just my .02
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#40]
1saxman is right! Sell the Rollie and buy a pre-ban AR and an Omega! The Omega is a much better watch after all! I know of several jewelers who snicker at Rolex saying "Those damn things don't even keep good time unless you wear them 100% of the time!" Me, personally, I don't want to wear a few thousand dollars in wrist gear all the time! Go Omega and pre-ban!
B9
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to own a  Submariner. I sold it about 8 years ago. I now regret it.
These arguments about a Timex or whatever are irrelevent. You don't NEED more than one AR, but most of us enjoy owning more than one; just because we want one. Same goes for the watch. It isn't nessessary. It doesn't do anything more than other watches, but owning a beautiful example of manufacturing excellence is a reward in itself.
When I bought mine, it was about $1200 and I didn't make much money at the time. But one day I was visiting my dad and he brought out a couple old pocket watches. One belonged to his grandfather (my great grandfather). The other belonged to his father. They were the watches that they carried every day of their adult life. He then brought out two gold watches that they had both recieved when they retired. I got to thinking about this whole situation and a couple thoughts occured to me. These guys didn't have many material possessions. But one thing they were able to justify was a good watch. I only know of a couple things that belonged to my grandfather that was passed down; and one of them were the watches. These watches lasted them a lifetime as well as a career in the steel mill. They didn't buy a cheap POS that was disposable. I realized then that every man owes it to himself to own a good watch. One that will last a lifetime and one that will be passed down.
I sold mine in a moment of weakness to get together the downpayment on my first house, but I will get another one.
I am not in to bling bling. I don't care what kind of car you drive, I don't care how you dress or how big your house is. But when I spot someone with a Rolex, I know this isn't your average Joe.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I wear a Timex, when I haven't misplaced it! I think Rolex watches are pretentious; especially the diamond ones. Diamonds and men don't mix.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
You are a little off track. He is talking about a stainless steel watch with a black face. No diamonds.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are a little off track. He is talking about a stainless steel watch with a black face. No diamonds.
View Quote

I don't think the thread title specifically says submariner.

Regardless, I think Patek makes a very elegant watch and would go with Tag for a sporty look.

TT
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I think Rolex watches are pretentious
View Quote

Guess I must be pretentious. Yesterday I couln't speel it, now I am one [BD]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#47]
"I have a Nice Submariner Sitting Over Here and it's starting to look like a Couple of new Ar15's ??"
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#48]
personally, I'd sell it.  blow $100-$150 on a good luminox watch off ebay, and use the rest for other stuff, like guns and bills and cool stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If anyone wants to trade [b]ANY[/b] high end mechanical wrist watch (rolex, patek, breitling, vacheron, audemars, omega, etc.) for evil black rifles, etc. let me know.
View Quote

Patek Phillipe, Audemar Piguet (sp?), Vacheron Constantine....   Now those are watches!  If it were one of these then I wouldn't trade for sure.  As to the Rolex, well, which ever will make you the happiest (consider feelings of your wife/ possible guilt on your part).  Someone mentioned  $10 fakes,  Occasionaly I see $400-$500 Rolex fakes: 29,000 beat automatic movements, very deceptive dials and markings on case/band, proper screw down crown/case back, even a quality gold plating, all in all, nice watches.  Most popular watch companies (eg: citizen, bulova, seiko, etc.) make the Rolex style watches with similar looking cases, bands, bezels. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flatery after all. Rolex is a household name like band-aid and kleenex, that is why you see Rolex fakes, just like Tag. Your average Joe wouldn't know a
Patek for what it is, much less an imitation of one for being a false status symbol. In the U.S. most luxery watches don't have widespread name recognition. If having a watch that everyone and thier uncle will recognize as being overly expensive for what you get in materials and quality (and SERVICE) floats your boat, keep it and be happy. That satisfaction of keeping up with the Joneses is what you really pay for. Every crowd has thier own status symbols, for some a rolex, others some gold spinners and trim on thier dark windowed late model cars, gold chains with your name, rodeo belt buckle, $80,000 platinum Patek, etc.  If I had a AR that I was satisfied with and a nice watch, I would probably keep the watch.

Dogma

Thier was a point to my post when I started, really.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#50]
yoyo

If you buy more ar-s you can get/take as many
rolies as you want.

vinnie
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top