Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 9:11:55 AM EDT
Okay I posted this in legal but no one ever looks there. lol. I should get more know it all responses here.

Simple question really. Are open bolt firing semi-auto rifles legal?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the preban guns that were semi auto used open bolt firing I think and as such should be legal if everything else is (bbl length etc.). I'm not sure any of them were rifles though. The semi auto Mac-10 for example was officially classified as a pistol. What did you have in mind?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I tell you all what I have in mind I warn you that it is incredibly stupid and dangerous. I admit that. Any safety nuts plz stop reading [b]now[/b]. Im not here for a lecture.

Im thinking a semi-auto M231 with a 16in barrel. Its probably the most evil looking EBR possible. To make it fire from an open bolt would make it even more "evil".
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, open bolt guns are considered Machine Guns by the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
There used to be a time (in the 80's) when you could get open bolt semi-autos.  Then there was some kind of ruling (IIRC it was the ease at which you could convert an open bolt semi to full auto) so no further open bolt semis were allowed.

Ask the guys in the Legal Forum - I'm sure Steve would know the poop, there might even be a letter on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What does "open bolt" mean?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You know how you have pull the charging handle back and then let it go? When you do this it strips a round out of the magazine and then the bolt locks closed. Everytime you fire after that the bolt goes back strips a round fires.. and so on.

In an open bolt the bolt locks to the rear until you press the trigger. Then it goes forward strips a round off the mag chambers it and fires and then it locks to the rear again.

The advantage to an open bolt is that it keeps the chamber cooler so you dont cook off a round, it looks cool, etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You know how you have pull the charging handle back and then let it go? When you do this it strips a round out of the magazine and then the bolt locks closed. Everytime you fire after that the bolt goes back strips a round fires.. and so on.

In an open bolt the bolt locks to the rear until you press the trigger. Then it goes forward strips a round off the mag chambers it and fires and then it locks to the rear again.

The advantage to an open bolt is that it keeps the chamber cooler so you dont cook off a round, it looks cool, etc.
View Quote

And the disadvantage is that you can't hit a damn thing ove 50 meters away, unless it's a bipod or tripod mounted MG[:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah but its just so damn cool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Open bolt guns are considered MGs by the BATF because of the ease in which they are converted to fire automatically.  Consider that an open bolt weapon actually requires extra parts to function as a semi.

All the open bolt guns in existance that were made before this ruling are still legal and carry a steep price premium.  ($800+ for an open bolt MAC pistol, etc.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
why do they look cool?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Any ideas on wear and tear on an open bolt AR for example vs a traditional closed bolt?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Why are they cool you ask? Because no one else has one. Even though it looks like I wont have one either.

Wear: Not a clue in hell. Im guessing more, you would probably "need" a chrome BC and Bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top