Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 3:34:10 PM EDT
I am brand new to the forum and a "Black Rifle" lover.  I am contemplating buying a Clark "Gator" AR for plinking and varmint hunting.  I was wondering if any of the forum members have one or if they have shot one.  I would like a few opinions on them before I spend that kind of dough.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think I have ever heard of that brand.
Can you post a link?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
OOPs sorry.  Here's the link  [url]clarkcustomguns.com/gatorar.htm[/url]

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I read an article about them someplace.  I might have been in the ShotGun News a while back or Gin Test Magazine.  I forget.  Gave pretty good reviews from what I recall.

Heed Troys advice.  Shop around.  Research.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Please take some time and read the forums.

Clark guns are nice but for the money you might be happier with something else with a few accessories. You will want accessories after reading the forums.

I hope your ready for the sickness, there is no cure.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually this will be my second AR.  I don't really care about all of the accessories, I am a firm believer in the "KISS" theory.  The more crap you have on your rifle, the more it will fail when you need it.  I just got rid of my Bushmaster Shorty with AK muzzle break, it would not fire without jamming every other round.  It did this from the time it was new.  I sent it back to Bushmaster and they said that some seals were out, and sent it back repaired.  I immediately sold it.  I like the detail to quality control that you typically get from a true custom gun maker like Jim Clark Jr. of Clark Custom Guns.  Like my Les Baer 1911, you typically get what you pay for.  It would be cheaper to buy a bolt action for varmints, but I really like the AR and know that they can be extremely accurate, and there is nothing like rapid fire.  I am not looking to clear rooms with it, I have shotguns for that.  I just want something that is M.O.A. and I can add a nice Leupold on and enjoy shooting.  Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#7]
EL, you gonna use this rifle 'primarily' for varmints and punching paper ??  Will you use a bipod for most shooting ??  Mostly match ammo ??
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the ammo will be match, but probably not most.  More paper targets than anything, although I hunt every chance I get.  I have a bi-pod on my .300 Win. Mag., and may occasionally use it on the "Gator" but most of the time I will just find a tree fork, rock, or use my knee as a rest.  I love to shoot the .223's, no recoil and they are great rounds for smaller animals.  I also have a Korean Daewoo that I really like.  We have taken smaller south TX. deer with it and lots of varmints too.  The Daewoo is almost "jam-proof."  You don't have to keep it near as clean as you do an AR.  I like to shoot hollow points through them at times, but on most varmints they don't have the mass for the petals to open up.  The ones that do are not a pretty site.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't have to keep it near as clean as you do an AR.
View Quote
 .You just lost credibility .
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Credibility?  I didn't realize I was undergoing a credit check.  Let me rephrase it then to satisfy you "MY DAEWOO WOULD FIRE A LOT MORE ROUNDS BETWEEN CLEANINGS THEN MY AR WOULD!"  While I am sure this is not the case with some AR's and some DR-200's, it certainly was the case with mine.  From what I have heard about the Korean K2 or it's civilian counterpart the DR-200 this is not the exception.  I didn't start this thread to establish or determine anybody's credibility, but to find out opinions about the Clark "Gator."  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Ew, Korea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
EL34.Clarks Gator is surperbly qualifyied for what you list its purpose for, because it happens to be designed for competition shooting which demands MOA at the highest level.This gun however on this forum sticks out like a soar thumb.You are in SPR,M4gery,and anything else thats cool, in military/tactical ,or para military armament or accessory country.If you want to be taken seriously, type in Maku Mozo,it will bring you to Brians shooting forums that cater to this type off firearm.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I would recommend Clark Custom in general. I have done business with them for 10 years. I have a Officers Model .45 "Meltdown" and the workmanship is incredible......I would also recommend RRA for an AR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at a gun show this past weekend and bought a DPMS Panther AR with a heavy barrel.  It is the same set up I believe as the H-Bar.  
I mounted my Leupold 3.5x14x50 on it and shot about a hundred rounds through it.  I couldn't get better than a one inch group with it, but I did enjoy shooting it.  I just got the latest Brownell's catalog in and there are a lot of options for triggers, so I would be interested in hearing what works best for you AR shooters.  I still may end up getting a "Gator" but right now I want to try the DPMS out.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I WAS always a fan of OLY Ultramatch uppers, because, with the right ammo they would produce sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards, but, I needed the barrel replaced and they supposedly replaced it 5 times in the last 2 years, before I finally got a good one.
In the meantime, due to the frustration with Olympic, I settled on a Gator. It is really neat looking, and they were running a special for USPSA members of $599
My buddy saw it, and HAD to have one too. He has three other DPMS ARs, including the varmint. They all shoot o.k., but, not spectactular. I think some of the best groups I saw out of his DPMS was about 5/8"
Without doing any load development, he is getting sub 1/2" groups with his Gator.
I LOVE my Gator, between the JP gas system, and the comp, it is the softest shooting .223 I have ever shot, but, I am having some accuracy problems with mine at this time. The general consensus is that the barrel nut is loose. I will be getting it checked next week.
All in all, I WOULD reccomend a Gator!
P.S. The two we have seem to like Nosler 55 grain ballistic tips, Hornady 60 grain V max, Hornady 68 grain hollowpoint match, and Nosler 77 grain hollowpoint match. I have shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards with the 68s, and 77s.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top