barrel length,twist rate,what ammo etc,
it's a bit too much! I got the 16" heavy
barrel,1-9 twist. Going to put an Aimpoint
red dot on it. A good practice ammo??
Does need to be broken in?? Any help would
be great !!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Good ammo?---Q3131----Break in? not needed with a bushy barrel..first cleaning after a few hundred rounds you wil be good to go.
  joel
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the plunge. I agree with ATLGA. Use Winchester Q3131A for all of your general purpose needs. It's fairly clean, reliable, consistant, and loaded to the proper Mil-Spec, so when you zero-in, it will be with the proper ammo. You might as well buy as much as you can afford (1000rnd bulk) because, once you start shooting these things, you won't want to stop. Good luck. [naughty]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good ammo?---Q3131----Break in? not needed with a bushy barrel..first cleaning after a few hundred rounds you wil be good to go.
  joel
View Quote

Break-in not needed with a Bushmaster 'chrome lined' barrel.  Anyone's stainless barrel still needs breaking in.  Joel, not to be argumentative but I still believe cleaning each time after a trip to the range is a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the club bro. [beer]

The "black rifle fever" has you by the balls now.  There is no turning back.  [:D]

BTW, great rifle you bought.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Also send the rifle to Kurt Wala of KKF in the industry section to have the heavy portion under the handguards turned down once you get tired of all that extra weight that does not aid accuracy and you will have a faster swinging, more comfortable rifle.

I also agree with the Q3131A for practice ammo.  What mount are you going to be using for the ML2?  What BUIS?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome.  

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! I was tryin' to get
over my Glock addiction but seem to
have picked up another instead. AR's
are harder to sneak the house past you
know who!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Howdy all, been lurking for awhile doing some research [img]http://youthtalk.gfol.org/images/smiles/lurking.gif[/img] .  I plan on getting the same rifle as Tomster in a day or two. So is the Q3131 ammunition pretty common? Any good place to order it online? I primarily shoot .308 so I haven't ever really looked for .223 ammunition...

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Agreed, I figured he would put a couple hundred down range the first time. Theeen it would be time to give that barrel a good cleaning.
  Hey big congrats on the new rifle. Be ready to start buying extras for it. [<]:)]

Quoted:
Quoted:
  joel
View Quote

Break-in not needed with a Bushmaster 'chrome lined' barrel.  Anyone's stainless barrel still needs breaking in.  Joel, not to be argumentative but I still believe cleaning each time after a trip to the range is a good idea.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I make my own ammo, and recommend it highly. It is much cheaper than some of the cheapest stuff you can buy, even in bulk. It is usually cleaner and more acurrate too. THe down side is that it can be time consuming.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also send the rifle to Kurt Wala of KKF in the industry section to have the heavy portion under the handguards turned down once you get tired of all that extra weight that does not aid accuracy and you will have a faster swinging, more comfortable rifle.

I also agree with the Q3131A for practice ammo.  What mount are you going to be using for the ML2?  What BUIS?
View Quote

Boy,DevL! This is all new to me. Let's
just go with the mount for now. I know I'll
need one, just didn't know which one?!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
you can order Q3131A from www.chestnutridge.com.
great deals, cheap shipping at your house in a couple of days
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello, BOG!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top