Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 3:11:43 PM EDT
of the twist. My Colt has a twist of 1:7 is that better than 1:9 ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if I'd say it was better but it does have some advantages. Don't ask me why but the AR's I have with Colt 1x7 barrels are the most accurate bench rest shooting. That's with 52-62 gr bullets that I use for reloading and not just with heavy bullets either. See this is where the twist really matters. Faster twist, the heavier bullets you can use. A 1x9 barrel shoots 69 gr bullets very poorly in my experience, but a 1x7 can handle that and more. My Colt SP1 carbine has a 1x12 twist and shoots everything from .22 lr to 52 gr bullets just great.

Long story short is try a bunch of different bullet grains and see what works best.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
of the twist. My Colt has a twist of 1:7 is that better than 1:9 ?
View Quote

buck, there is no better or worse just different.

The 1:7 barrel has an accuracy sweet-spot at a bullet weight of 69grn while a barrel with a 1:9 twist has an accuracy sweet-spot of 62 grn and just FYI a 1:12 twist barrel centers at 55grn.  Now this doesn't not mean you can't shoot bullet weights in a 1:7 up to 77grn or so but simply means - all other things being equal - you should achieve max accuracy with a 1:7 at 69grn.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top