Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 9:23:06 PM EDT
Just as the link said. Also include your opinion on the reality of this bill sunsetting:
Not likely? or a good chance?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the ban is supposed to sunset Sept 04.  At least that's what everyone has been hearing and seeing.  But don't think those sneaky-ass liberals don't have something up their sleeves.  We are winning the battle right now, but we have to win the war.  It's still too early to let our guard down.  We must still keep fighting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree. You have to fight until either they die or you die. Updates can be seen at - [url]http://www.awbansunset.com/[/url].
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My Rep told me that he didn't think HR 2038 had enoughs votes to get to the floor and if it didn't it wouldn't pass the House.

I posted the text of his letter under one of the other AWB threads.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I wrote my Senators and Rep back in early May.  I received a semi-encouraging letter from one and a phone call (last night) from another wanting to discuss the issue with me.  I'll call back this evening and update this post later tonight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn how did you rate a phone call?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea [>:/]

I'll call back this afternoon and find out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Remember if we win this fight in 04 we are gonna have to win it every year from now on in. It passed once, so I think that will give the antis the encoragement to try for the next 10-15 years at the very least.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
A gunshow dealer last weekend told me that he had already been given the word that the ban would be renewed.  He was a dealer with a preban ruger for sale, so he should know what he's talking about. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Ahhh, gun show dealers get the word before the votes are made?  So, the fix is in and the voting is just a formality?  Hah!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]

I got s letter bsck from my rep. stating his support for sunsetting of the ban.

But, something was odd.  Here's a quote:

"This current ban is due to expire on September 30, 2003 unless Congress chooses to reauthorize the law."

Sep. 30, 2003????

2003 could be a typo, but why the 30th, not the  13th (Sep. 13, 1994-original law)???

Maybe I'll keep the letter and slap together an M4 this September![:D] j/k

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A gunshow dealer last weekend told me that he had already been given the word that the ban would be renewed.  He was a dealer with a preban ruger for sale, so he should know what he's talking about. [;)]
View Quote

WOW he must really be connected.  So is does he read minds or does he know how everyone is going to vote.  What an assclown.

When I find a dealer that knows what he is talking about I use them exclusively.  I just need to stop moving around because it takes some time for me to find a good delaer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think it'll go away.  It's a nice dream we all have, but didn't our sportsman's friend say he wasn't going to support the sunset?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my non-professional analysis of the situation:

Both Republicans and Democrats want to see the ban die and are playing it as hypocritically as possible for brownie points in 2004.

Bush has said he favors extending the ban as-is; but won't lift a finger to lobby for it.

McCarthy's bill in the House bans practically every semi-auto made - hunting, sporting, what have you.

Tom Delay says that bill isn't making it to the floor - and he has the power to make that happen.

Nancy Pelosi is beating Bush over the head for not doing more to support it; but when the Washinton Times asked if she was going to start a discharge petition to force a floor vote, she balked.

So end result - the House bill asks for a law that even the antis would call wildly optimistic. Delay says it won't leave committee. Pelosi says she isn't going to use the one means to force it out of committee (and may not be able to).

So right now, the bill is going to die without renewal and there is no question about it. However, September 2004 is a long ways and a campaign season away. All the papers are hitting the issue hard already. Throw in a high-body count rampage shooting at the local Kwik-E Mart (which the Dems are undoubtedly hoping for)and all bets are off.

We are doing real well so far. All we have to do now is keep up pressure on our Congressmen so that they will already know they have the votes and not lose their backbone if things get choppy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh man, I get really pissed when I hear #$%@ like this!  Guys like this will do us more harm than good.  My local gun show is excited about the ban expiring but I always remind them that we have to keep the pressure on!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah i heard a similar story from local gunshop..gun show ppl are gettin weird now..the ppl that make their living sellin hi-caps for 100bux apiece dont want it to go away..but it is a long way away..lots goin on right now..stupid movie "44min." didnt help much only the ppl into shooting sports realize what a pile of 5h*t it was. and yeah all they need is one lunatic to go postal with an AR or AK or bolt action .22 and it could hurt things.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess my local FFL with $1000 kit built FALS and $25 FAl magazines probably won't be happy if the ban sunsets.

Oh well, Fruck him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#17]
A gunshow dealer last weekend told me that he had already been given the word that the ban would be renewed. He was a dealer with a preban ruger for sale, so he should know what he's talking about.

Pile Of Fruckin' Sheet...Guys like this give dealers bad names...

[chainsawkill]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top