Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 5:25:36 PM EDT
Last night I was over my friend's apartment.  We were "comparing" our Colts and well for some reason my buddy put his Colt up against the wall near the top of the stair case.  I told him, "Better move that!"  He did not listen to me.  As he was playing around with my M-4 he went to grab his and....WHOOPS....lost his grip on his Colt and it went tumbling down the stairs.  

I was laughing but then again I felt bad because if it were mine I'd be freaking.  He checked everything over and his Aimpoint worked fine.  Sights were ok.  But his handguards came apart (unlike mine which are tight as a mother!)  How tough are AR-15's.  I doubt anything is wrong with his but you never know.  I'm not going to the range for a while but he's buggin me to go this weekend to test fire his Colt.  

Anyone ever drop your AR with no ill effects?

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say they are a LOT tougher thay I would
like to try and test.

I have dropped mine, it is a rifle I use
not a safe queen.
I take care of it the best I can, but if it
gets a scratch I don't sweat it.

They will take abuse, I just try not to go too
far.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The first and only time I dropped my AR was in 1982 on the grenade assault course at
FT. Benning. The rifle hit the ground butstock first and the hand guards fell off like a cartoon. My ever caring drill cadre made sure I paid dearly for that transgression. I haven't dropped a weapon since.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
a little stair trip ain't sheeeit!

You should see the M16's that they train with in USMC basic!  They're all fucked up, but functional!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It was designed to take bumps anf falls. It was designed with mailitary in mind.
GG
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't want to repeat the incident with a live round in the chamber, you know!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Airborne troops do way worse when they jump. 99% of the time there OK, other times I've seen the buffer tube bent, barrel bent, the worse being an M4 that a soilder landed on and it was elevated on one side via a big rock. The barrel made almost a 90 degree turn stopped only by the weapons case and ripped its self out of the upper reciever, huge chunk of the upper was MIA. Ditto with the Basic Trainning/Boot Camp stuff those poooooooor M16A2's took a serious beating.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a guy run mine over at S.P. crater a few years back.Had it propped against the side of my truck, and when he pulled out, it was caught by the front left wheel.. Other than handguards, it was not damaged in the least.

They're not as fragile as one would think.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the worse being an M4 that a soilder landed on and it was elevated on one side via a big rock. The barrel made almost a 90 degree turn stopped only by the weapons case and ripped its self out of the upper reciever, huge chunk of the upper was MIA.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
View Quote

Yeah, but it still worked fine right? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the worse being an M4 that a soilder landed on and it was elevated on one side via a big rock. The barrel made almost a 90 degree turn stopped only by the weapons case and ripped its self out of the upper reciever, huge chunk of the upper was MIA.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
View Quote

Yeah, but it still worked fine right? [;)]
View Quote

You're thinking of Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw an M203 that was left behind a Bradley ramp during GW1...  driver dropped the ramp in the morning...  "skrreeeettchhhhhh"

Oh crap!!  everyone ran to see what it was, there was a seriously bent rifle laying under the ramp.

Yeah, there was trouble for that.

Alex
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone who has been through bayonet training knows these things are TOUGH. As long as you don't run over them with something heavy, they'll usually be just fine.

LF
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah lil bumps and sratches make for good war stories and add character.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top