Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 5:16:36 PM EDT
Is there such a thing?  I have scratched up my delta ring to hell (with a screwdriver) and was curious if there was anyway to cover up the scratches.  Maybe its more trouble than its worth.  Its my fault for messin it up and I guess I can live w/it but.....  my poor M-4
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Sharpie markers or those Birchwood Casey markers work fairly well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Try some Birchwood Casey Alumni-Black. Most gun shops carry this and works pretty good on scratches and nicks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't sweat it.  I wouldn't feel right if my AR was in prestine shape!

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Scratches add character.

Id only worry about it if you kept your AR in a felt lined walnut box.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the black touch up pen for my ARs.  I've never used it on my delta ring but I use it on my brass deflector all the time.  I find it to work very good.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/15101.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use the black touch up pen for my ARs.  I've never used it on my delta ring but I use it on my brass deflector all the time.  I find it to work very good.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/15101.asp[/url]
View Quote

The flat black pen will work fine on the delta ring. Next time tape up the delta and anything else your going to using a screwdriver on.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Pssssst... I'll let you in on the best kept secret for touching up scratches on your AR: [url=www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117]Aluma-Hyde II[/url], & a small, stiff paint brush!

Properly degrease the offending scratch, shake the hell out of the Aluma-Hyde II can, heat the can under hot running water, shake again, and spray a very little bit of it into a paper cup. Carefully & lightly apply the Aluma-Hyde to scratch with brush, and then wait for a week to let it cure properly.

What you get is a touch up that is virtually identical in color (matte balck) & sheen to all black AR15s' & the Aluma-Hyde II is pretty damn resistant to bore cleaner, WD-40, CLP, and normal wear & handling ([b]much more[/b] so than touch-up pens & "Aluma Black")!!!

Give it a try. I did, and I will never go back to other methods of scratch touch up!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
[LOLabove]  I knew you were going to say that sooner or later NYPatriot.  Everytime someone asks this question you give this same answer.  "Pssst....I'll let you in on..."  I'm not mocking you, but I was waiting for you to say that exact phrase again.  [:D]  By the way, the stuff NYPatriot is talking about is great stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
But I still have have two cans of Teflon/Moly!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
MarineNP... when the newbies stop asking the same questions over & over, I'll stop cutting & pasting the answer.

Promise!!! [:D]

BTW, no offense intended toward new members. In fact, a big welcome M4WU & all the other new members.

Welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the welcome, and yes it is an addiction....  my GF hates it!  She is jealous! [slap]

I will try your meathod NYPATRIOT, thanks to everyone else for suggestions!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done a couple old .22's and my 870 with the Aluma-Hyde II. That stuff if great! Just did an Acog mount, TA51 I believe, looks new. I think I'm going to do the top end of an AR in OD next. As stated above, warm the part/paint and shake it!. A hot attic works great to, speeds up the cure.

Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top