Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2003 1:08:57 PM EDT
I was out shooting my ar weekend before last and I had it upright in the rifle rack with the bolt locked open.  I grabbed it to take it out and shoot it and the bolt slammed forward.  Any reason why it would do this?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably hit the bolt release on something as you grabbed it, maybe another rifle?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Unload the rifle... lock the bolt back and tap the butt of the stock lightly on the ground.. If there is no mag in the mag well, it's gonna release with a light tap. It's normal.

LivFire
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Unload the rifle... lock the bolt back and tap the butt of the stock lightly on the ground.. If there is no mag in the mag well, it's gonna release with a light tap. It's normal.

LivFire
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool...it did have an empty mag well.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds to me like you've got a functioning ar then ;)

P.S. Little safety tip here... Note that (using the method outlined above) it will not release with an EMPTY mag in the well, but WILL release on a loaded mag, so don't ever count on the bolt lock back over a loaded mag for safety.

LF
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
whats really cool sounding is when about 200 GI's sit down on a hard gym floor with open bolts . It only takes a slight jar to release the bolt carrier .....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes that will happen.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top