Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2003 7:16:58 AM EDT
I have a bushmaster with the stock trigger and the trigger pull is horrible.  I want to replace it with a good aftermarket trigger but have heard that you run the risk of the new setup not being able to ignite military ammo due to the harder primers.  Is this true?

Is there a trigger with a nice pull that you suggest that won't have this problem?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
All of the decent after market triggers I know of will ignite military primers..

For a Single Stage trigger (same type that your rifle now uses) try the Accuracy Speaks version.

For a Double Stage trigger try the ArmaLite double stage trigger, or the Rock River Arms two stage NM trigger (same function as the Armalite and DPMS at a lower cost).

None of these triggers use set-screws.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't personally know anything about aftermarket triggers; but........... I have been to two nationally recognized shooting schools to take carbine courses. Both places see a large number of ARs of every description come through their courses and during the courses these carbines are put through their paces. During one of the courses, I fired over 1800 rounds.
Ok, let me get to the point. Both schools basically said; if you are foolish enough to bring a carbine with an aftermarket trigger, make sure you bring a spare carbine.
In one of the classes I took, the guy next to me on the line told me he just couldn't stand the factory trigger on his Colt and had put in an aftermarket trigger. On day three the rifle started doubling.
So maybe, after seeing several thousand ARs fire over a thousand rounds in a week each; these guys might have learned a thing or three.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got over 1000 rounds through my RRA NM two-stage without a problem...but Im watching.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

None of these triggers use set-screws.
View Quote

Why would this even be a consideration?  Set screws dont mean its less reliable across the board and they have nothig to do with light primer strikes either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
For the JP trigger, if the front screw "loosened" or backed off, there would simply be more overtravel, approaching that of a stock trigger.  If the rear screw backed off, there would be more sear engagement, again, approaching that of a stock trigger.  I don't think it possible for these two screws to go the other way.  Also, they are tight to begin with, a lot of friction.  Adding a little spec of locktite with a toothpick, to where the thread enters the trigger will prevent any possible movement.  But I would only use this trigger on my target AR, an Oly Ultramatch, or other similar rifle.  I would not use this trigger on a Homeland Defense or LEO rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The light primer strike problem that you've heard was caused by light hammer spring in a "stock" weight hammer. I run a speed hammer in mine and no more light primer hits.  With regards to trigger failure, I've not had or seen anyone that I play with have problems with their JP triggers (we all have JPs in our 3-gun match rifles).  Not that they won't fail (all mechanical things will fail soon or later,) however, would I depend on these rifles for defensive use? Definitely yes (only need a few rounds anyway [:)].
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard jewel has an exellent 2 stage trigger . I like to know where I can get one though.[>:/]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#9]

JP only guarantees his system to ignite us primed ammo. That said, it sets off all the wolf I've ever put through it.

Set screws won't come loose if you know how to install them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Set screws dont mean its less reliable across the board
View Quote

I would have to disagree.  Set screws won't.  At some point, usually when you critically need your rifle, they'll come loose and you'll be the one who's screwed.

For a target rifle, no big deal.  For a duty/defensive rifle, NO WAY!

-Troy
View Quote

OK I have heard of failures of the RRA trigger and the Armalite trigger on multiple occasions.  They dont have set screws.  The Knight's 2 stage trigger has set screws and I have never ever heard of a problem due to anything including the set screws.

So....

RRA - reported failures

Armalite - reported failures

KAC - no reported failures

But somehow this equates to the KAC trigger being less reliable due to the fact it has set screws.  I just dont follow the logic here.  

It should not matter what COULD go wrong but rather what HAS gone wrong and the reliability should be determined by testing not theory.  If someone can direct me to a reported failure of the KAC trigger on this site or a reported failure of the KAC trigger in use in the SPR by the military I would like to see it.  I have never seen this before.

I think the quality of a trigger should be judged on its ACTUAL performance not theoretical performance.  A trigger that is more reliable is more reliable no matter how complicated it is.

A high quality set screw trigger is more reliable than a mediocre quality trigger with no set screws.

If I am wrong please correct me but this seems like the "hard chromed bolts or carriers are inferior" dogma I have seen on this site.  If the new improved KAC bolt is hard chromed are we to believe its inferior just because dogma tells us so?

Better is better, no matter what.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top