Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 10:22:29 AM EDT
Just curious...what do you guys & gals think Pre-Bans will go for if the Ban is not lifted in 2004? (it just makes me sick to think of it)

I would love to hear some opinions from everyone!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would prices rise if the ban is NOT lifted and is merely extended?  There would be no difference as compared to how things are now.

This assumes that a tougher set of restrictions is not enacted.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm scared to think of it! I went shopping today for one in the philadelphia area. Three places I went to had them for $2,500. That's crazy. Last year I bought a preban sporter target with a 16" m4a3 upper for $1850. I need one more colt preban lower( I just ordered a 14.5 m4 upper from MSTN,thanks Paul and Wes) but I can't see spending that much on a A2 or lightweight just for the lower. Even if I sell the upper it came with it's not worth it. Rock River Arms m4 with a wilson brake are looking better to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why would prices rise if the ban is NOT lifted and is merely extended?  There would be no difference as compared to how things are now.

Noah
View Quote

less of them and harder to get
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The price will gradually go up as the supply gets smaller, but that will have nothing to do with the ban...keeping it would be status quo.

Of course if the ban expires, the value of prebans would drop anywhere that there is no state ban that does not have the sunsett clause.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ban is Going No Where, It will be in effect for ever !!
And the price of Pre Ban's will stay high !!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
i think it will spike right after.  this is the one chance at the ban going away, if it doesn't go this time it never will. period.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
ON THE FLIP SIDE.....

As the AWB is about to be either placed to rest or resurected ...I want to look on the flip side..

With the price of preban guns, in general ,soaring sky high and out of reach of most people..we all wonder about the future of the AWB...I am not unfourtunate like some guys that I know who cannot afford anywhere from 1500.00 to 4000.00 depending on which Preban gun it is that youre taking about..As I have a safe full of preban weapons...And Im glad that the value of these weapons are doing well as with any investment....

However...If I decided to sell any of these weapons...which I doubt I ever will...I would not try to get rich with one sale....I know the name of the game is $$$$MONEY$$$$....but damn...come on guys!!!

I am sure that many (MOST) of the dealers that deal in Preban weapons are right in line with the limp wristed Democrats....and are more than likely against the AWB sunset....think about it...Buying a Preban weapon for a thousand dollars and selling it for 2500.00....well this is their "BREAD AND BUTTER".....not to mention the hi capacity mags BLACK MARKET....I would imagine that BILL AND HILLARY...had a few thousand PREBAN guns...in the closet with the PINK TOOTOO's and the whips and chains....just look at what happend with the OIL RESERVES....BILL GOT RICH....

The thing is....the AWB will never go away..and it is for one reason....not because the evil features...or HI capacity....it is $$$$MONEY$$$$

So when you gun dealers out there in "PREBAN HEAVEN" sell these guns at rediculious prices...you are doing nothing more than taking part in the trashing of the 2nd amendment...

SO .....I HOPE YOU'RE PROUD....

I know that this will piss some of you off....
but...

Like a man said that was standing down stream....

AND I QUOTE," ITS BETTER TO BE PISSED OFF THAN PISSED ON!!!"
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me an optimist, but facts are facts, and the Republicans control Congress, plus the fact that many Democrats don't even want to vote on it, the AWB will end!  I see prebans holding some value as collectibles that will never be produced again, but the larger market for new ARs with all the preban features will keep prices stable and more importantly affordable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm scared to think of it! I went shopping today for one in the philadelphia area. Three places I went to had them for $2,500. That's crazy. Last year I bought a preban sporter target with a 16" m4a3 upper for $1850.

I think the prices people pay for Colt AR's is just rediculous. I don't think they are made that well to warrant that kind of price. Seems like its the name that carries the price, not the rifle itself.

RR
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Call me an optimist, but facts are facts, and the Republicans control Congress, plus the fact that many Democrats don't even want to vote on it, the AWB will end!  I see prebans holding some value as collectibles that will never be produced again, but the larger market for new ARs with all the preban features will keep prices stable and more importantly affordable.
View Quote

I hope your'e right...but we shall see....I hope it does go away... just for the reason of Im tired of my friends trying to buy all my preban guns....I would probably sell them some ...if I knew they wouldnt turn around and sell them for a profit!!! But I know they would end up here for twice what I sold it!!!

I mean ....I can't blame a guy for wanting to make a little cash....but these guys are trying to retire on one freaking sale...that is what bothers me the most!!!

And I am signing all the petitions and writting mt congressmen to make sure they vote "HELL NO" to renew the AWB.....Just because Id like to see a few of these Preban dealers STUCK IN THE MUD with anxiety....because there sweet little NEST EGG isnt worth as much any more... like the anxiety some of my friends feel trying to get an honest deal on a freaking preban AR... over a stupid bayo lug, flash hidder, and colapsable stock...hell the new rifles are better made now than any SP1...or whatever...

A Bayonett lug for God's sake....If Im ever in combat..Im gonna shoot the piss out of some asshole before I ever get close enough to use a bayonett...OR Have any of you guys tried to shoot a gun with a colapsable stock in position 1...very uncomfortable

IM OFF MY SOAP BOX!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt is the only preban ar's around P.A. I wish i could find a preban bushmaster. I just looked at firearm value books $1,200 for preban colt,so where do the dealers come up with there prices?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Mike, you don't have to limit yourself to PA. You've got the internet which gives you access to the whole country. Shop around a bit and you'll find much better deals. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If the AW ban is renewed or gets worse, prices will fly through the roof.  On the other hand, I would really enjoy seeing some of these dealers choke on the rifles they are gouging people for. Lets all keep working on it and get it to end.  $2500 for a Colt that you repainted?  I think not!!

What pisses me off even more is knowing that many dealers are buying for way under $1000.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]
The same thing goes for the guys here on the EE....I mean I cant down all of the guys ...as I do a lot of trades over there....But when someone is selling a stripped,repainted,crappy cast lower for 800.00 ...come on...

it is not the guy that sells every now and then and tries to make a few bucks that bothers me...its the asses who scouer the earth to find these pre CLINTON guns ..buys them for nothing from some poor guy that is about to lose his truck...and turns around and quadruples the price....

And to be quite frank...COLT AR's SUCK...I have never owned one that didnt start out in life as crap.....until I rebuilt everything...and if I were ever in SHTF senario...I wouldn't grab a green or blue label out if the safe...it would be one of my BUSHMASTER....POST BAN's...with a BULLBARREL from J&T....I know that thing runs like a swiss watch...and is deadly accurate...
(or my SR15)....[sniper]

but hey if these guys that are buying them keep paying the money...I really cant blame the PUSHERS of these PRE-CLINTON guns...its their own fault

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Believe me the AR industry will not loose money,  One way or another they will make out better than they are now.  Either the prices will drop and they will sell more,  or the prices will increase and units out the door will decrease.  Bottom line is they will continue to profit..  AS long as they are selling them,  I am happy.  We can argue about the prices all day but have they listened to us yet.  I have asked this to many dealers and keep hearing the same thing.  It's not what i want to hear but its info to think about.  I do not know if they are worried about their end, but I keep hearing about some kind of renewal that will take its place.  I realistically doubt that the whole AWB will be dropped all together,  but its hopefull to think about.  The main thing is there has to be a way to educate the non-gun owners.  Until people can understand the un biased truth about the whole thing we are never going to come to an agreement.  It sounds so easy to me,  To others its all about what the media puts it out to be.  

Blah blah blah

I better stop..

Prosise  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mike, you don't have to limit yourself to PA. You've got the internet which gives you access to the whole country. Shop around a bit and you'll find much better deals. Good luck.
View Quote

The dealers I run into aren't entirely "friendly" with transfers from the internet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't think so...
With Republican control of Congress, and voters watching their representatives "vote" on this issue, it would be political suicide to extend or expand the ban...

If the current H.R.2038, as written, PASSES, then the "2nd American Revolution" will have begun...
The Politicians would then be out of control...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noah
View Quote

less of them and harder to get
View Quote

MikePenn:

While what I infer from your reply is that the "supply" of prebans is fixed, IMO, if nothing else changes and the existing ban is somehow extended in its present form next September, the "supply" of prebans would not change ovenight, day before extension to day after extension.

What might affect pricing is a bunch of "chicken littles" making a big deal out of it in hopes of using the notariety of the situation at the time to boost "OMG, I better get one!" panic buying.

BTW, where you at in PA?  I'm north of DuBois.

Noah

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Is anyone else noticing that there seems to be a plethora of "pre-bans" for sale at local guns shows and the online auction sites? Most of these guys are starting to realize that they may left holding the bag if the ban sunsets and no new ban is passed into law. As for the current laws sunset I would take a lesson from recent history. In '94 you had a royal buttload of politicians jumping on the bandwagon to pass the federal crime bill and the result was/is what we've been living with-namely the so-called Assault weaspons ban. Just on the heals of the aforementioned law came an election year and the voting public voiced their opinion of the work the congress had done over the previous session. I hope everyone remembers the shakeup that occurred in '95 when the republicans took control of the house. The only problem is that we may have voted them out based on performance or what-have-you, but the result was [luckily] a BS piece of legislation that had a sunset clause [very rare in Washington politics]that we all have had to deal with for 10 f$^&#n years. My point is simple, let's not wait until the next election to attempt to correct what needs to be done now.
Contact your elected official and give him/her your 2 cents worth so they no now that we are paying attention to this and we'll no longer stand for this or any other crap that Washington can dish out. It's time to take the wheel back from the monkey[s] at the helm.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I have noticed the same thing with the supply of PRE-CLINTON guns....theyre everywhere....one reason is due to the fact there was a huge buy back on police preban weapons....olympic arms... from what I hear...just received a shitload of these guns and they are about to flood the market.....THIS IS JUST HEAR-SAY...as of now...although...a friend of mine had an inside scoop..and could have bought an OLY arms preban for 800.00 ...he is like me though when it comes to preban guns....what the hell is all the hype attitude!!! and bought a stoner instead...now there is a rifle...id take a SR15 over a shitty, beat to hell and back preban gun that dont shoot straight....haha..these guys are crazy for buyin that junk!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#21]
You miss the point: The ban WILL lift. Period. It WILL sunset.

PERIOD.

We don't have to write to our congressmen asking them to overturn the ban. It will happen automatically on the 14th of Sept 2004.

PERIOD.

The only thing that CAN happen is a NEW ban must be written, debated, sent back and forth between committees and houses. They must be ALLOWED INTO the committee. They must be VOTED ON IN the committee. If they are DOWNED in committee, this is called a PIDGEON-HOLE. (The bill DIES in committee)

EVEN IF it makes it out of committee, the bill has to pass in both the house and senate. They have to be IDENTICAL bills.

Not gonna happen. The liberal-controlled media's lies will be exposed regarding the Name and features ban. It has already happened on CNN ONCE.

Remember:

#1 the ban self-destructs automatically on 14 sept 2004.

#2 IF a new ban gets passed, it may not allow grandfathered ARs! (Turn 'em in, boys!)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that the prices might spike right after a renewal of the ban, but they would fall back into line a couple of months later.

However the prebans will eventually become extremely expensive, especially as more guns are added to the list.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]

[b]
"Is anyone else noticing that there seems to be a plethora of "pre-bans" for sale at local guns shows and the online auction sites? Most of these guys are starting to realize that they may left holding the bag if the ban sunsets and no new ban is passed into law."
View Quote
[/b]

I see that trend also, as more news becomes available such as when House Majority Rep. Tom DeLay recently stated the AWB renewal has not enough support to even bring to a vote, the increase in pre-bans for sale will grow.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You miss the point: The ban WILL lift. Period. It WILL sunset.

PERIOD.

We don't have to write to our congressmen asking them to overturn the ban. It will happen automatically on the 14th of Sept 2004.

PERIOD.

The only thing that CAN happen is a NEW ban must be written, debated, sent back and forth between committees and houses. They must be ALLOWED INTO the committee. They must be VOTED ON IN the committee. If they are DOWNED in committee, this is called a PIDGEON-HOLE. (The bill DIES in committee)

EVEN IF it makes it out of committee, the bill has to pass in both the house and senate. They have to be IDENTICAL bills.

Not gonna happen. The liberal-controlled media's lies will be exposed regarding the Name and features ban. It has already happened on CNN ONCE.

Remember:

#1 the ban self-destructs automatically on 14 sept 2004.

#2 IF a new ban gets passed, it may not allow grandfathered ARs! (Turn 'em in, boys!)
View Quote

that is a scary thing....I dont know that I could turn my AR's in if such a law is passed!!
DAMN....I dont want to think about that....Im going to pretend you didn't say that....HAPPY THOUGHTS....HAPPY THOUGHTS....BIG TITTY's...BIG TITTY's...Ok thats better....shame on you Mug!!!

seriously...could you guys turn your AR's in??

AR'S......WHAT AR'S????
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Stop spending big $$$$ on pre-bans.  The law will expire and pre-ban prices will crumble.  For me (I have a pre-ban I owned before the ban), my post-ban Armalite is my favorite, but I HATE the muzzle brake.  I can't wait to put a regular flash supressor on the thing.  Does anybody know if the threads are the same?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#26]
the ban ain't going to happen, believe me. wait and see.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't a considerable portion of [B]some[/B] prebans determined by the roll mark?  In other words, do you think that the values of Govt Carbines, Colt Carbines and Tactical Carbines are going to drop much? I can see a preban Sporter or the like dropping pretty quick, but not so much the others.  Maybe even an AR-15 roll mark may hold some value.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't think so...
With Republican control of Congress, and voters watching their representatives "vote" on this issue, it would be political suicide to extend or expand the ban...

If the current H.R.2038, as written, PASSES, then the "2nd American Revolution" will have begun...
The Politicians would then be out of control...

[sniper2]
View Quote

You may very well be correct.  However, there's a flip side to this particular coin...

If the current republican majority for the time being gives the impression of seeking the sunset of the '94 ban they essentially give themselves a token to offer to the democratic minority when it comes time to play their cards.

We all know that the banned features are essentially nonfunctional.  Why would a politician want to fight for those features to be legalized?  Even many conservative gun owners frown on the assault weapon concept.  I'm not so sure that many if any votes would be lost if a republican gave in on what is really a token gesture to the antigun lobby.

In fact, they probably would earn a few votes from some right leaning liberals.

Either way, this will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Let me see if I can put my vast marketing knowledge and skills and 7 years plus in a no name college to good use.
If a new ban similar to the current one is passed the price of pre-bans will go up for a few months and then level off.
When ban sunsets with no new ban price should drop to about the current price of LE models. AR-15 new $550.00 to $750.00 price range. Magazines should sale new in the $12.00 to $15.00 range.
Most of the companies making AR-15 will watch to see what is gone to happen and if the ban sunsets with no new law they will have their warehouses stocked to the roof with built guns and parts. They will want to put as many new guns in the dealers hand ASAP. This is  due to surge in demand after ban sunsets and they also realize that a lot of post bans will get converted and sold by owners and dealers. Both new and used market will get flooded with AR-15 and also other style of rifles(AR180B, FAL G3 etc.). Saleing a this point will fall back to quality, price and brand image. Profit margins will shrink and some companies will go out of business.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Isn't a considerable portion of [B]some[/B] prebans determined by the roll mark?  In other words, do you think that the values of Govt Carbines, Colt Carbines and Tactical Carbines are going to drop much? I can see a preban Sporter or the like dropping pretty quick, but not so much the others.  Maybe even an AR-15 roll mark may hold some value.

What do you guys think?
View Quote

I think you're correct. *IF* the ban goes away, all preban AR's will become no more valuable than any other new or used AR....EXCEPT for the Colts marked AR15, and especially those marked AR15 and also marked Tac carbine, Colt carbine, Govt carbine and Govt model.
No matter what happens with the ban, I seriously doubt that Colt will ever offer another rifle marked this way again to the masses. That means those mentioned above will still hold a higher value to collectors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have noticed the same thing with the supply of PRE-CLINTON guns....theyre everywhere....one reason is due to the fact there was a huge buy back on police preban weapons....olympic arms... from what I hear...just received a shitload of these guns and they are about to flood the market.....THIS IS JUST HEAR-SAY...as of now...although...a friend of mine had an inside scoop..and could have bought an OLY arms preban for 800.00 ...!!
View Quote

[BS2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Phil...

If you can read an interpret the ENGLISH language...I said it is HEARSAY....Jackass!!! And my friend was offered a OLY arms Preban for 800.00..at a gunshow in FL,but since you weren't there you would not know would you?

You must be one of the ASSHOLE preban dealers everyone hates because you have been tagging my threads all over the site...Is that piss running down stream???!!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to guess that the prices will drop, however they might remain more expensive, even if just a little bit, for being "original pre-ban," if that makes sense...

I won't be able to see the effects of the end of the ban, since I live in Kalifornia [:(], at least not until [i]our[/i] ban is withdrawn or found to be unconstitutional ([i]SILVEIRA V. LOCKYER[/i], perhaps?).
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Phil...

If you can read an interpret the ENGLISH language...I said it is HEARSAY....Jackass!!! And my friend was offered a OLY arms Preban for 800.00..at a gunshow in FL,but since you weren't there you would not know would you?

You must be one of the ASSHOLE preban dealers everyone hates because you have been tagging my threads all over the site...Is that piss running down stream???!!!

View Quote

1. I am apparently more qualified than you to "read an [sic] interpret the ENGLISH language."

2.  I am surprised by the fact that you appear to have been offended by my post prior post (which contained no text).  The emoticon included as the substance of such post was merely intended to express the obvious -- that the hearsay, as you describe it, was highly suspect.

3.  I do not doubt the veracity of your assertion that a friend of yours was able to purchase a "a [sic] OLY arms Preban" for $800.

4.  While I am a proud owner of two preban Bushmasters, I deny that I am "one of the ASSHOLE preban dealers everyone hates because [I] have been tagging [your] threads all over the site."  As far as I know, I have not previously responded to any of your threads.  I do find your choice of the word "tagging" as an interest use of language; to me, it seems to imply a linkage with graffiti, a form of youthful mischief.

5.  Moreover, if you seem to think "people" are targeting your threads with undesirable responses, I suggest one of two alternatives:  either that you are imagining this phenomena, in which case you should seek help for your paranoia; or, that persons unknown are, in fact, "tagging" you, likely due to the fact that the content and tone of your posts deviate from the standards of acceptable conduct on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Well ..well ...Mr.Text Book...Look who owns a dictionary..?  What did you do.... get your high school kids to write you a cheat sheet???While you read your "Hooked on Phonics Bedtime story"  ...I have Websters too...and there is a word that is there ..you can check to see if you like....(since I am sure it is still there close)....

its called "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE"!!!!.

Or is that a phrase? I guess that it depends on how you use your expressions...

it could mean...  FUCK YOU ASSHOLE????
  or....         Hey,"FUCK YOU....ASSHOLE".

OR......SIMPLY...  FUCK YOU...YOU..ASSHOLE !!!!

[kill]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well ..well ...Mr.Text Book...Look who owns a dictionary..?  What did you do.... get your high school kids to write you a cheat sheet???While you read your "Hooked on Phonics Bedtime story"  ...I have Websters too...and there is a word that is there ..you can check to see if you like....(since I am sure it is still there close)....

[kill]
View Quote

**Translation**.....I'm a whiny punk kid who lacks the mental capacity to compile a cognative response to your written "bitch slap", so I'll just hurl personal insults.
And please, in the future, try and use little short words so I can at least have a chance to respond. **Translation**
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Geeze...this is getting out of hand, I was just curious what people thought the prices would do if the ban is lifed/not lifted.

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
....meanwhile they were discussing the value of pre-bans and the AWB .....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Ar15sniper01 please read the complete conduct code. Your behavior is uncalled for and you are an embarrassment to this web site. If I had the power to ban you I would have done it. Staff with be notified ASAP to determine the fate of your future on AR15.com. Frank.

[i]3.) Sharing of differing opinions is encouraged. However, threads that degenerate into pointless arguments, personal attacks or threats against anyone will be locked and further action may be taken. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the Staff or a Moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, in a non-joking manner will not be tolerated (If you are “joking”, make sure that point is VERY clear).[/i]

Quoted:
Phil...

View Quote

Quoted:

[kill]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....one reason is due to the fact there was a huge buy back on police preban weapons......and could have bought an OLY arms preban for 800.00 ...!!
View Quote

[BS2]
View Quote

Well, about 2 months ago, an FFL from Texas listed a bunch (~20, IIRC) of police trade-in Colt SP1s for $1000 each on Sturmgewehr. By the time I got through on the phone, less than 2 hours after they were listed, they were all gone. So this isn't complete bullshit, but I doubt the number is huge.

Another point to consider about preban Colts. My older ponies are all great guns. I wonder if the new ones are built as well. The new ones I have looked at have not looked as nice as my prebans. "Postban/preban" is a moot point in NY, with our own permanent AW ban. Thanks, moderate republicans...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
....one reason is due to the fact there was a huge buy back on police preban weapons......and could have bought an OLY arms preban for 800.00 ...!!
View Quote

[BS2]
View Quote

Well, about 2 months ago, an FFL from Texas listed a bunch (~20, IIRC) of police trade-in Colt SP1s for $1000 each on Sturmgewehr. By the time I got through on the phone, less than 2 hours after they were listed, they were all gone. So this isn't complete bullshit, but I doubt the number is huge.

Another point to consider about preban Colts. My older ponies are all great guns. I wonder if the new ones are built as well. The new ones I have looked at have not looked as nice as my prebans. "Postban/preban" is a moot point in NY, with our own permanent AW ban. Thanks, moderate republicans...
View Quote

I agree 100% about the quality of the newer Colts. I have looked at and shot many postban Colts and IMO, they are nowhere near the quality of the prebans. A shop near me usually has a couple of Colts in stock including the new "M4" The fit is ok, but the finish and overall quality of the parts leave a lot to be desired. Not even close to my green or blue labels, Colt made the right back then.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#42]
My RRA postban is just as quality as the Bushy and Colt postbans I examined. And I paid under $700 for it.

With post ban Colts your just getting the name. The pre bans are probably top shelf.

Also I saw a PRE BAN PWA carbine for under $1000 dollars at a local gun show. I also saw a Colt SP-1 for $1400.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I sure hope the Ban goes away...I will either be happy I made a good investment (if I eventually buy one) - or pissed off that I spent all the money when 2004 happens.

I still would like to get a pre-ban.. (I almost bought a PWA for $1200.00 - the only thing that kept me from paying this much for one was my wife threatening to beat me over the head with the rifle if I spent the $$$$)

I am quite happy with my post ban RRA lower and M4 upper...(the quality seems much better than the pre ban PWA)- I am just waiting for all of the other parts.

My wife does not have as much metal to beat me with now!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top