Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2003 9:04:35 AM EDT
I have an AR15 in a CAR configuration, nothing special. I'm going to be moving to California and I know you can buy ones like mine in CA, but can I take mine there legally? Appreciate any help you guys can provide!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
NO, you can't bring it, and NO, you can't buy those in Kali any longer either.

You will have to sell it before entering Kalifornistan.

Too late to register it.

You would have to seriously neuter the weapon to get it into the state legally - the most likely way would be to buy a new lower with a fixed magazine - ie:  you have to crack the uppper/lower open to load the weapon.

Also, all your preban hicap mags are illegal as well.

I sure hope you are getting paid $4,000,000 per year and can afford a place in Nevada as well, cuz you are basically screwed otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are a military member, you have an option. A member here went and obtained a Military Assault Weapons Permit and was able to import his rifles into CA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to be moving to California

DONT DO IT!!! I tried it for a year ('kept my guns elsewhere during that time) and will never go back...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You might as well just move to France!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Read this first.  http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

Then read what people from other states have to say.  Like Fox News YOU decide

This may help a little especially question 5   http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm

and a little more detail -

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

and     ARTICLE 3. PERMITS

12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age.

12231. Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full description of the use to which the firearms are to be put.
Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
   Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget.

Doesn't look too promising does it.

I would suggest that you or a friend contact the AG regarding importing previously owned under the Military or other permit status.  Looks like it can be done but there were no easy links on how to do it.

Buena Suerte
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What if your just visiting California and want to shoot at their ranges? I can bring my AR down there?

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Only time a civilian can bring a California listed banned rifle into the state is when he will attend a legal sanctioned match. Then once the event is over, the rifle must be removed from the state.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
This sucks, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I believe I'll leave it in another state with some folks that I trust until I can move again elsewhere and then pick it back up.  It's a shame that in the good ol' U.S. that there are idiots like those in California.  I'm not getting paid $4,000,000.00 but I'm not going to be there for a long time either....hopefully. What about handguns? Can I take those? Thanks yall!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
[B]
Quoted:

This may help a little especially question 5   http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age.

12231. Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full description of the use to which the firearms are to be put.
Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
   Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget.

I would suggest that you or a friend contact the AG regarding importing previously owned under the Military or other permit status.  Looks like it can be done but there were no easy links on how to do it.

Buena Suerte
View Quote
[/B]

It's a damn f*cked up law.  What a shame!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, I believe I'll leave it in another state with some folks that I trust until I can move again elsewhere and then pick it back up.  It's a shame that in the good ol' U.S. that there are idiots like those in California.  I'm not getting paid $4,000,000.00 but I'm not going to be there for a long time either....hopefully. What about handguns? Can I take those? Thanks yall!
View Quote

You can trust me. Can I keep it while your gone?? I am on your way to Kali.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Post to track
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
This is your only option; [url]GoGoGadgets.net[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry about your problem...need help stashing guns...let me know.  I am serious.  I don't know what I'd do if faced with such a problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the reasons I moved to Louisiana from Cali was that f-&*ed up law.  I had a nice Marine Core anti-terrorist special 12 gauge with flechette rounds (from a gun show) and controlled burn rounds (from volunteer desert fireman duty) and everything.

They didnt like the folding stock, or the ammo. I had to ship the weapon to my dad down here, and destroy the ammo.

Then I put my stuff in the back of my truck and got the heck outta dodge.  Its bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[B]
Quoted:

Buena Suerte
View Quote
[/B]

View Quote

[LOL] that is funny!! guess what? It's the same law that Feinstein and Shumer have proposed as a permanent FEDERAL law, with no sunset. That's *probably* not going to happen, but something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
You should be careful. An acquaintance of someone I know is currently on felony probation for having an unregistered Colt SP1 in the back of a closet that was found while the cops were searching his house following a non-weapons involved, non-violent dispute with a neighbor.

Humans by their nature tend to need some group to amongst them to consider 2nd class citizens and discriminate against. In the US, especially in places like Kali, the People's Republic of Hawaii, and Taxachussetts, it's legal, fashionable, and desireable to discriminate against gun owners at every turn.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, one of the goals of all of these laws is to 'show gun owners who's boss' - i.e. to humiliate them.

Moving back to Kali would be one of the few reasons I could think of to buy a Mini-14. Get a whole mess of 10 shot mags and an SKS chest bandolier.

Also remember that in Kali any magazine that can take more than 10 rounds, or any night vision device intended to be mounted on a firearm is a felony.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Its postulated that only between 10-20% of the registerable "assault weapons" got registered.  A lot of folks didn't pay attention, a lot made the decision not to do it and a lot who knows?

In any case, if you didn't and you get caught it could be a baddy.  I'm thinkin of putting the folding stock back on the M1 Carbine and giving it to my least favorite bro-in-law and rattin him.  He deserves it
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I go to Pahrump, Nevada (10 miles from Kali border) to shoot at Front Sight.  Front Sight will store banned weapons for Kali residents.  It used to be free, but now I think there's a nominal charge.  Then you can go to Pahrump and shoot on their ranges, take their classes, etc.

It's an option.  They have a website with more info.

I bought land in Pahrump because I like the desert, but HATE California.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
No offense, but why the hell would you want to move to California.  You should move as far away from that state as possible.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a damn f*cked up group of people who [i]pass[/i] these laws!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, it may be the only option, but think of all the fun things you can add onto it! Pistol grip, flash hider, threaded tipped barrel, flare launcher, bayonet lug, bayonet.... Have a blast (literally)

They may make me break open the rifle to reload, but they can't stop me from adding all those "terrible" and "horrible" attachments to them.

FAB-10: first rifle, half finished, pretty exciting! [url=http://home.attbi.com/~leelaw/progress.html]Progress-O-Meter[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Current possesors of high capacity magazines may keep them,  No new sales transfers or importation.

You can import magazine replacement parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Man,  

You know why,  That bank Robbery that went bad....  The one with the Full auto AK's...
Or it could be that their a bunch of [b]TREE Huggers[/b]......  I visited California on business and the instructor took me to a range.  You had to be a member to shoot in Santa cruz....  Ill stick with Good Ol' TEXAS thank you...

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, it may be the only option, but think of all the fun things you can add onto it! Pistol grip, flash hider, threaded tipped barrel, flare launcher, bayonet lug, bayonet.... Have a blast (literally)

They may make me break open the rifle to reload, but they can't stop me from adding all those "terrible" and "horrible" attachments to them.

FAB-10: first rifle, half finished, pretty exciting! [url=http://home.attbi.com/~leelaw/progress.html]Progress-O-Meter[/url]
View Quote

Yes, I have several FAB10's and I have no issues with them. Where in the Bay Area are you? I'm in the south-west San Jose area.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top