Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2003 10:30:35 AM EDT
Has anyone performed the trigger job on the stock trigger that consist of using polishing (lapping?) compound on the sear and trigger and then trimming the stock hammer and trigger springs? If so, how well does it work?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
btt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to tell you that I am not and will never be in favor of messing up springs. I'd say to keep what you have or buy different ones but don't mess with what you have.

I don't know much about AR's but I've been working on rifles for about forty years, so I don't mind looking into something new. My DPMS carbine shoots and functions beautifully but has to hold the world's record for the most despicable, grunchy trigger.

I popped off the upper and yanked out the lockwork to take a look at it. Pretty straightforward, even simple. I polished the engaging surfaces with a rubber impregnated polishing wheel in a Dremel, just enough to clean up the surface without taking off any serious metal. Then I cleaned and lubed all parts and carefully reassembled, using generous amounts of Tetra Gun grease on bearing surfaces.

It's a BIG improvement and is much more pleasant to shoot. There still remains a very "tiny" amount of creep, possibly not noticed by most folks, but it is there. I will take a second look at it later and see if I can get the creep out of it. Otherwise.........a very worthwhile improvement. I NEVER want to shoot anything that has a trigger like this gun had.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Why, yes, I've done it a few times, and it worked well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. It seems like a pretty effective alternative to buying a BN single stage.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top