Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:34:24 PM EDT
Hey Folks

I have a couple guns that I would like to camo.  I already tried to paint one but it didn't work out very well even though I followed Brownells instructions on everything except blasting the stainless parts with Aluminum Oxide grit.  I bead blasted it instead but the coating didn't stick.

So......does anyone have any ideas on where I can get something blasted with Aluminum Oxide (besides sending it off to Lauer's).  My local gunsmith won't do it because he would have to change out his media and he doesn't want to do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Amost all of the heat cured products on the market come from the same place and are just repackaged and relabeled -- I call it "Unobtanium" finish out of my shop.

Anyway... Bead blasting is probably worse than no blasting -- Beads (glass or metal) actually polish the surface and make the finsih fail, as you have seen. I would try a body and paint shop, auto resoration, that sort of thing? I use 90 grit Aluminum Oxide, common in "sand" blast cabinets... the newer stuff makes a very sharp cut and the finish bonds VERY well, when properly done, that stuff is as hard as woodpecker lips (as they say in some parts).
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Give any thought to Alumahyde II?

The stuff IS AGGRESIVE!

Back when I did an AR15 with some Teflon/Moly from Brownells it wouldn't stick to what I thought was a properly prepped upper receiver, for whatever reason it just didn't like sticking to the anodized upper even though the finish seemed pretty rough.

The Teflon/Moly that I have used worked just great on prepped steels like a bead blasted steel barrel or cast steel lower, no joy on the upper though.     After reprepping the upper receiver I tried some of the Alumahyde II, after it reached full cure I am quite impressed with that stuff.  Just about hard as nails.

One of the nicest surfaces I've found for putting the teflon/moly to is a nice fresh parkarizing job.

What part of your AR15 are you looking to do?   For the steel parts I'd figure on using the Teflon/Moly and for the aluminum and plastic parts I'd use the Alumahyde II.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top