Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 2:12:18 PM EDT
Well when I first got here today I clicked on Bushmaster. Did they buy up Professional Ordnance? Or are they just trying to do something different?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159857]BUSHMASTER INTRODUCES NEW PRODUCT LINE![/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they bought out Professional Ordnance.

What can anyone tell us about the Carbon 15.  I had heard they had problems, but that they were resolved.  Talked to a coworker that I don't see often, has one, and has been very happy with it.  I would imagine that if Bushmaster had the product, they would make sure that any functioning problems would be taken care of.

Interesting, let's see what happens with this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I will hold off buying one till its known that they dont constantly have problems...
From what I read here on the boards you eather get a rifle that works great or one that doesnt work and wont ever work no matter how many times its sent back.
I think they have problems that need to be worked out.
I do think its a great concept tho. Hopefully if Bushy gets the reliability issues figured out Ill buy one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait and See.[8D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one (one of the later models) about 1 1/2 years ago, and had nothing but functioning problems with it.  I sent it in to the factory for work twice - nothing helped.  I finally got rid of it and bought a Bushy M4gery, which I love.  
The concept of the light, handy rifle is wonderful; however I just don't think they ever worked out the kinks.  Among other things, I remember that the key on the bolt carrier kept working loose, no matter what I did.  
I hope that Bushmaster works out the problems, because the idea of such a handy little rifle is really good.  In fairness, I've run across people who loved theirs; and Gun Tests rated the rifle highly, which is why I bought mine in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I just bought one, so I got a very new model.

I believe they've worked most of the problems out.

I've got about 800 rounds through it now with only a few problems.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I've not read many issues of Gun Test, but every issue I read left me not wanting to read another.

I'd like to see Bushmaster work out all the problems these rifles had.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I must have one... I simply must!!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I bought one their pistols about 3 months before the company filed Chapter 13. I had it ordered from them since few dealers tend to stock their products. I've only fired a couple hundred rounds out of the gun but I never had any problems once I converted to using Thermold magazines or the 20rd USGI mags (or Beta's). I believe it's due to the difference in the lips of both magazines compared to a standard 30rd USGI mag.

After I purchased the pistol I found some threads here about their quality and called the company (Professional Ordnance) about the reliability of their rifles. The tech support guy informed me that they did have a problem with their bolts and feeding but this was corrected in their later models. All I can say is I haven't had a problem once I converted to using the Thermolds they suggested.

I will say the pistol is fun to shoot, but I can not see any practical reason why someone would use the pistol to protect themselves. The bullet velocity is lowered to the point where the bullet is unable to perform as designed and flash is something you'll just have to experience. [pyro]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one of their carbon-15 pistols. Sold it after a month---didn't really like it. Only had one feed problem with it---think it was the mags fault. Surprisingly had no kick, but I was not impressed with their rifle either----to each their own---I aint buyin one
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that once Bushmaster works out all of the bugs, it will turn out to be a much better rifle.  I will have one.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Once Bushmaster stamps there name on the side of the lower, I'm afraid I will be out $700 big ones.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
 Need...forward...assist!  I can't stress how much more cool these things look with forward assists, even though they may not have a big role.  I think it would look really sweet if they put forward assists on these things.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once Bushmaster stamps there name on the side of the lower, I'm afraid I will be out $700 big ones.
View Quote

Most likly more than that. They were going for 600-700 used around here. I think that a new one from Bushmaster would be a bit more new.

You can put me down for one or two of the pistols though. I have had my eye on them for a while. Now that BM is backing them, they have a sale.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Carbon 15 Type 97S, which has a full length picatinny rail on top (from the rear sight to the end of the handguard).  This model also has integral sights.  I intend to mount an Aimpoint when I want to lay out the cash.

What I like about this rifle is that it already has quite a few of the modifications that I would have had to do on my own (full length rail, Hogue grip, BUIS) if I had an M-4.  I really like the light weight, which makes handling extremely fast, not to mention carrying is as effortless as possible.  I haven't had any functioning problems, either.

If I were going to improve anything on this rifle, I would have included an ejection port cover.  Additionally, the air-hose linkage, which connects the compensator to the muzzle, can disconnect when I release the bolt with the muzzle pointed down.  This has only happend on an empty chamber, though, never when firing.  I would also like the ability to mount a foregrip.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this rifle, and I hope that this innovative product succeeds, under the Bushmaster name, where Professional Ordnance failed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been looking for one of these since I first eyeballed one several years ago, but have held off because of reading about all of the problems.  Once it's engraved with the Bushmaster logo, and incorporates a Bushmaster chrome-lined BLACK barrel, I'll buy one.  Until then it's still just a PO piece of...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
My Business partner calle dthem last week and the Bushy rep told him that the first batch of Carbons were just old P.O. guns that are back-stocked. After they run out Bushy will start ironing out the problems. Hmmmm, I'm not buying it. At least not for another few years!
B9
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I parted with my carbon-15. I started thinking about the AWB and if it drops I can build a real AR15 pistol using standard AR15 parts with a handguard so why would I want to keep the Carbon-15 knowing I can possibly build a real AR15 pistol.

Anyway the money went right back into a new 20" AR.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My Business partner calle dthem last week and the Bushy rep told him that the first batch of Carbons were just old P.O. guns that are back-stocked. After they run out Bushy will start ironing out the problems. Hmmmm, I'm not buying it. At least not for another few years!
B9
View Quote

Taking that at face value (no misunderstandings or statements out of context) That's some very uncool shit. I would never stamp my name on any product I could not back up or was unsure of. I find this hard to believe.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#20]
The local dealer recently bought a used DPMS version of the Carbon-15; AR-15 lower and the same stainless, fluted barrel and lightweight upper.  Is extremely lightweight and I'd suspect being DPMS wouldn't have any problems.  Might be cheaper to build one yourself.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up a type 97 rifle and believe you me it wasnt $700!, tag price was $1,299.95 but the guy allowed me $1,100 trade in value on my Carbon 15 pistol.

My pistol didnt like GI 30 rounders at first, the mag well was off a bit but with slight tweaking it was ok. I put about 1000 rounds total through it with very little trouble.

My new rifle I have only put a couple mags through, not a real test but it functioned 100% through a mag of Barnaul steel cased, the second mag was mixed surplus from at least 4 different countrys that was also a bit dirty and slightly tarnished, 100% function with less than optimal ammo. I would have to say overall that it is a beautifully made weapon, and at 4.5 pounds with a loaded 30 round Orlite and a Tasco Optima 2000 you cant get any lighter for an AR. I really like DPMS but their liteweight rifle would feel like a tank compared to this rifle.

Just so you all know, Busmaster is standing behind the PO warranty as written, my card was of course for PO, they had me mail it to the same location as PO to Bushmaster Firearms Inc. warranty departmant, I dont think there will be any difficulty getting things repaired if you have problems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I must have one... I simply must!!!!
View Quote

So the name on the side changes and BAM I MUST HAVE ONE?!

I'll wait and see how they preform.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The pistol I had functioned o.k., but later on I felt uneasy about having a weapon built out of that material. It just didn't feel safe to me, so I sold mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top