Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 5:37:05 AM EDT
If the gas system is inop, or removed, the AR seems to look just like a straight pull bolt action rifle.  How reliable is the rifle when used this way?

Does the bolt go into battery completely every time?  If not, is the problem of firing out of battery worse when operated without the gas system?

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What would prevent the bolt from going into battery? The buffer spring would drive the bolt into battery. It just wouldn't self load without the gas. Have you seen the pump action upper?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The British highpower shooters use bolt action AR-15s for competition.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the only problem with that would be you might start wearing out the little notch on the upper reciver that  holds the charging handle in place.
 You know where i mean? Mine has started to show some wear (might just be the anodizing rather then the reciver itself) from playing "bolt action AR". When it's unloaded.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
a person could get a side charging handle upper or have the carrier and upper modified to a side charger(either side). A pump could be done fairly easy by the looks of it, depending on how nice you'd want it to be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top