Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2003 5:31:43 PM EDT
I took my Y-comp M4 Bushy out today, and it's gonna be the last time.  I was defending it here on the site for a few weeks, but my 16" M4 profile barrel came in from BM, and after shooting it a few times, I can't stand all the BS you have to put up with in a Y-comp.  I don't like the muzzle blast or nothing.  If you go in an open field and kneel and shoot your non-Y-comp gun, you can hear the action work and everything.  Not with the Y-comp.  It's way more irritating than my DSArms FN's with their muzzle brakes.  I think it's because the FN's are stright thru from side to side instead of sending it back up your nose.  

Has anyone tried to drill one out to 30 cal or so.  I wonder what would happen if you just drilled it thru from side to side?  I even thought of clamping something over the end of the barrel like the old heat shelds on the M97 military shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just do what I did. Call Bushmaster and tell them that you are unsatisfied with the Mini-Y. Trust me, they will understand. Have them exchange the barrel for one with an AK muzzle brake on it. They will charge you a $40.00 restocking fee, but you will totally be amazed by the difference the AK brake makes over the Mini-Y.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What crazed monkey came up with the Y-Comp anyway?

Get the AK brake or one of KKF's TacBrakes:

[url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/29585.htm]KKF Products/Services[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to send mine to KKF to have it removed. But, expect to be without your rifle for a LONG time. I sent him an upper in February and am still waiting on it. Sometime after I sent my upper, we invaded Iraq, drove from one end to the other, wrapped things up and sent a lot of the Joes home and I still haven't got my upper back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't need to "FIX" the Mini-Y comp, because it isn't broken.

This topic has been discussed to death.  If you bought your AR for plinking, or casual target shooting, then DON'T GET A COMP.  A comp is designed to eliminate muzzle rise and moderate recoil.  The efficiency of a comp is in DIRECT proportion to how loud it is.  The comp comes into it's own when used for very fast, accurate shooting; ie tactical rifle matches and/or three-gun matches.  In competition, an effective comp is absolutely necessary if you don't want to have your ass handed to you, and that applies no matter how good you are.

Use the right tool for the right job.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I think it's going off to Kurt's.  Rabbit...I realize what a comp is for. Unfortunately, ya gotta buy one that way to get the 14.5" model, or have an illegal SBR.  Since no one around here has one, I didn't have a chance to try one out first.  I'm still really happy with the way it looks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I drilled the large side ports out and it tamed it down alot.  I started with a drill bit that was just one size bigger than the hole and kept moving up in drill bit sizes until I got to 3/8".  Be carefull the drill can bite too deeply and wrench the drill from you hands.  I wish someone would make a device that slips over the y-comp and allen screws in place while leaving the top ports open.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If Kurt is really busy or you really need your rifle back in a hurry then you can try Star Tactical.  They make a FAKE flash hider (called the Ghost) that looks like the Phantom Flash supressor.

Lots of guys from this board have purchased Mike's (Star Tactical) single point sling.  This is one of his 'other' products.

[b]Star Tactical Troy, OH. Contact Mike at [email protected][/b]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/star_tactical/someofourwork/icons/DSC00037.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't need to "FIX" the Mini-Y comp, because it isn't broken.

This topic has been discussed to death.  If you bought your AR for plinking, or casual target shooting, then DON'T GET A COMP.  A comp is designed to eliminate muzzle rise and moderate recoil.  The efficiency of a comp is in DIRECT proportion to how loud it is.  The comp comes into it's own when used for very fast, accurate shooting; ie tactical rifle matches and/or three-gun matches.  In competition, an effective comp is absolutely necessary if you don't want to have your ass handed to you, and that applies no matter how good you are.

Use the right tool for the right job.
View Quote

Wisdom only has one face.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top