Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/24/2003 2:00:59 AM EDT
Why does a AR15 hammer have the notch at the top?

Is there a rounded hammer for sale out there?

If you took a M16 hammer and ground the full-auto notch off would that hammer be legal to use in an AR15?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why does a AR15 hammer have the notch at the top?
View Quote

To lock up the works if the disconnect wwere to fail or happen to be removed on an AR.

Is there a rounded hammer for sale out there?
View Quote

Yes, but usually found at the gun show, seller has cut off the M16 auto sear lug.

If you took a M16 hammer and ground the full-auto notch off would that hammer be legal to use in an AR15?
View Quote

Yes, the ability to operate in auto mode has been removed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The notched hammer does not effect anything in operation of your gun unless some of the parts are not working properly then the notch will prevent your gun from double shooting, and will lock your bolt part way open. If this is happening it's due to worn parts not the notched hammer.

Also the notched hammer will not work in the Colt style semi auto 9mm guns. You need a rounded hammer or a 9mm hammer.

Yes a de-hooked M16 hammer will work, but just don't do it for full auto reasons.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for replies.

It just looks to me like the notched hammer would dig into the bolt, but if that isn't the case I will no longer worry about it...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS will happily sell you an un notched hammer, which is actually an M16 burst fire piece with the sear trip lug removed.  I know this because it was on the DPMS assmbled lower I just bought 2 weeks ago[:D]

The word I keep getting on this site and elsewhere is that Colt and some of the aftermarket makers are phasing out that cutaway carrier and notched hammer thing anyway.  About damned time.  Never was a federal requirement for the AR. Just some BS somebody at Colt dreamed up 40 years ago, and all the aftermarkrt people copied.[;D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top