Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 8:05:56 PM EDT
I'm looking at purchasing a red dot scope. Local dealer has Millett Red Dot but I'm not sure about them. Looking at AimPoint but how much should I look to spend on it. Secondly, do I need to mount it in front of the handguard or on top of A2 handle? Also wanting to put on accessory rail handguard so that may come in to play later on. Which one do I need for Bushy Shorty and who has the best price?

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, I recommend getting an Aimpoint or EOTech sight because they are the best.  If you have a fixed A2 handle then I recommend getting an ARMS #39A2.  This enables you to mount the optics in front of the carry handle.  I don't recommend mounting optics on top the carry handle.  Also do not mount the optics onto the handguards unless you have RAS/RAS II or ARMS SIR, etc.  I buy all of my optics from [url]www.SWFA.com[/url].  Here is a link to the ARMS #39A2 which is about the same price wherever you buy it.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms39.asp[/url]

If you get an EOTech then you can attach it directly to the ARMS #39A2.  If you get the Aimpoint then you will have to buy a mount for it to attach to the ARMS #39A2.  These ways will also allow your sights to co-witness.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I, too am looking for a nice scope set-up (RRA w/UTE bodied-upper)

A base-model EOTech is about $260, and they go up to $350ish. Them doggone Aimpoints cost about $340 (ML2), and the 2X version I like is $430! Neither come with a mounting ring (+$30-$150)

$125 for that ARMS #39A2 mount...YIKES!

It gets out-of-hand real fast...

For the time being, I have mounted a Wal-Mart Tasco 30mm Red-Dot on the UTE's weaver base, I can even co-witness with the open sights. Cost, $25.

I guess my point is that unless your a hard-core operator (or can afford to pretend to be), a much less expensive set-up can suit a person just fine.

It looks just like this one that www.aimsurplus.com has...[img]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/reddot.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that the BSA/Tasco/Famous Maker red dot's are all the same, to be honest.  I own a BSA 42mm red dot, and just today, I mounted it on my son's Airsoft XM177.  It's an okay red dot, but once you compare it to an ML2 (which I own), there is no comparison.  The feel, quality, and durability is no match.  If all you are EVER going to do is take it to the range and baby it, then sure, this red dot should be fine.  But if you EVER think you MIGHT, even for a SECOND have to use your AR in a SHTF scenario, or in a self defense scenario, would you bet your life on a $25 sight?  I wouldn't, and you shouldn't either.  Use the $25 sight for now, but save up for a good quality Trijicon/Aimpoint/Eotech/etc.  You won't be sorry: there IS a difference.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Not the old "you'd bet your life on a...shtick!

Hell, that's what the open sights are for!

I do agree, though, that there is no compromise for quality. My point was that a lot of good shooting can be done on a budget. No need to spend $500 on a red-dot to enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya gets whatcha pay for...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I'm all schtick!  [ROFL2]

Yes, Iron sights are the BEST way to go, but hey, if one is going to use the technology, why not use the best quality?

I'm with ya: I used my BSA for quite a few trips to the range, and it worked fine.  Heck, it might even work just fine in a SHTF situation, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Finally, as with every statement made by every person on a forum, these are opinions, and this is just mine.  My opinion, views, etc are not worth any more than anyone else's... except to me.  [;)]

Have fun with your sight: I have no doubt you will enjoy it, and that it will serve you well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top