Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:52:21 PM EDT
I am looking for the most in durability I can get out of the AR without sacrificing too much accuracy.

I wanted a chrome lined barrel like my AK's, but all I see is a mention for chrome-moly barrels and thats only on 1 site (Model-1 sales) does no one else have a 20" standard chrome barreled unit for around 400 or less?

I dont want chrome on the bolt, and I dont want to be forced into using moly coated bullets, where can I get a plain jane standard chrome ar upper?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely check out the EE and [URL=www.bushmaster.com]Bushmaster's Website[/url]

They should have anything you're looking for. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The reason the AK has chromed bore is that they were used with corrosive ammo.  It was very necessary.

Less so with the AR.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wanted a chrome lined barrel like my AK's, but all I see is a mention for chrome-moly barrels and thats only on 1 site (Model-1 sales) does no one else have a 20" standard chrome barreled unit for around 400 or less?

Thanks!
View Quote

Just to keep the terminology straight, ALL AR barrels, except the stainless ones, are made out of chrome moly steel; which has absolutely nothing to do with industrial chrome plating the inside of the barrel.[:D]

Colt and Bushmaster are the only two manufacturers of AR barrels who have regularly hard chromed their barrels;  and I'm informed that Colt is not doing it on many of their current types any more.  There are some suppliers who offer chrome plating as an option on some of their barrels.  Rock River and DPMS come to mind.

Best thing to do is decide what type of barrel you're looking for; length, weight, etc., then check the Colt, Bushie, and maybe Rock River and DPMS web sites to see if that type is available in a hard chromed version.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Try [url]www.cmmginc.com[/url] cuz the last time I looked they had chrome-lined, 4150, DMPS barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster's bbls are good. CMMG is run by a good fella, and he sells quality stuff. You can't go wrong with either of them...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]
ArmaLite lists chrome lined barrels on their website also.  I don't know how big a deal it is that they are made from 4140 steel instead of 4150.  But, as they are the only ones with chrome lined 16" barrels with the mid-length handguards that visually suit my fancy, that is who I'm saving my pennies for.
Dogma
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top