Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:40:54 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong.  Due to the speed and the effect of the .223 hitting a cinder block (we call it a concrete block here in Florida) cause the bullet to do its thing (fragment) and not do much if any damage to any one/thing behind it?

If so then why did they shoot the "Cinder Block" on the CNN story?

Just my thought.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
 calls for an experiment, I'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they used an AK on CNN?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A single lead core 5.56mm bullet will shatter a solitary cinderblock, but in a cinderblock wall a single bullet will usually make a fist sized hole in one side and at most usually just crack the opposite side, leaving lead splatters all over the inside the block.

I know that M193 when fired inside of a modern dwelling made of 2x4 frames and drywall, the bullets will usualy penetrate at least one wall and usually come out into the next room in a small cloud of high speed bullet fragments, some of which often have enough energy to punch through another couple of layers of drywall.

The 5.56mm bullets move so fast, they'll usually penetrate one layer of just about anything within reason, but after penetrating that layer the bullet usually turns into fragments.

For instance, you can often use a full sized auto for some reasonable cover from 5.56mm fire as long as you are completely on the other side, but don't ever be inside of a car when someone starts punching 5.56mm rounds into it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have put winchester 64 grain power point through both side of a car, both doors, I do not know how much more the round had in it though...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I should clarify that the vast majority of the 5.56mm ammo 'testing' that I've had experience with has been 55gr M193 milspec ammo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
just this last weekend i shot holes in 1/4" steel with some cheap wolf ammo.
gonna try some 1/2" next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong.  Due to the speed and the effect of the .223 hitting a cinder block (we call it a concrete block here in Florida) cause the bullet to do its thing (fragment) and not do much if any damage to any one/thing behind it?

If so then why did they shoot the "Cinder Block" on the CNN story?

Just my thought.

Badredfish [devil]
View Quote

There is a difference between a cinder block and a concrete block.  A cinder block is noticably porous and much lighter in weight despite having the same dimensions.  It looks like thier was a filler material in with the cement (cinder?), but is there no longer like it was disolved or burnt out.  Concrete blocks look and feel as if made of the same material as sidwalks and driveways.  With my 45/70 there is a noticable difference in how they react to being shot.
Dogma
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Never been attacked by a cinder block before, nor had the desire for some cinder-stew.

I dont think they pay much for the pelts, neither.

If I do see one O them cinder critters next time I am inna airboat, Ill pop it.

Anybody know how to field dress a block?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
At what range? I do this, myself, usually at around 75 yds or so with Q3131a. After penetration, the bullet really doesn't have much left, and it tends to shed the jacket as it passes through the steel. Half-inch plate probably won't be penetrated, though; the bullet will dig a small crater, but that's probably about all it will do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny you brought this up as i use cinder blocks to hold down my target holders.
I shot one this weekend with a 55gr South Africa surplus 556 it blew the top half of the block into about 10 2" sized pieces.
Doh just saw you wanted to know about  the round after it went through the block. Well I dunno Im gonna try it this week end on a watermelon or something behind a cinder block for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never been attacked by a cinder block before, nor had the desire for some cinder-stew.

I dont think they pay much for the pelts, neither.

If I do see one O them cinder critters next time I am inna airboat, Ill pop it.

Anybody know how to field dress a block?
View Quote

You folks will try and eat ANYTHING!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto here! My buddy likes to drive around work picking up any scrap metal he can find to use as targets. He found two 1/4" pieces of steel welded together with a 1/2 gap in between. Wolf went through the first plate like butter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I know that the "cinder block" was picked as a target to show the dramatic effect of a "military round".  what would have happened if they has shot a paper target or an empty soda can?  that would have not looked good on tv.  I can just dream on what 5 million viewers would have thought if they showed them punching some paper.

If CNN wanted to show the good side of AWB why not show a high power match or a national sporting clays event??  Would a bunch of good guy & women with a good hobby be of any news to CNN?

What people want to see is the live footage of the bad guy robbing banks shooting it out with the police....how many times have you seen that on tv vs. the high power match?

I say we support the best show we have "American Shooter".

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I've shot 1/2" steel plate with M193 and it won't completely penetrate.  Angle was 0 degrees, range aproximately 25 meters.  Rifle was Colt Sporter, 20" 1/7 twist.  Chewed up 1/4" steel but would not penetrate 1/2 ".  It would leave a nice, big dent in the back side, but wouldn't go through.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top