Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 7:42:38 AM EDT
 I hope this is the right place to ask this question but I am looking to buy a progressive reloader for 223.  Price range around $200 + or -.  Any recommendations?  I'm thinking Lee Loadmaster.  Comments?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The Loadmaster is a toad. Too many cheap plasticy parts to break.

If .223 is all you want to load and you don't want the change calibers then
The Lee Pro1000 is ok. It only has 3 stations but that's all you need for rifle. Make sure you only want this one caliber cause the press is cheap enough it's not worth upgrading. If you might want more calibers go with a different press.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, it's not much of a jump from the $200+ price range to the Dillon 550B.  I finally broke down and bought one, and it's a very well made, durable piece of equipment.  Customer service is first rate at Dillon as well; I've had several occasions to need some new parts (my fault, not their's), and they've always taken care of me with a smile.  

Once you start reloading, you will invariably start loading for other calibers, especially if you shoot a lot of pistol ammo, so you might as well get a press that is built to last a lifetime.  

Bear in mind that most people--myself included--still use a single stage press for various things...I decap in the single stage, and hand prime the brass, I just like the feel of it better.  Plus, once you get crankin' on the progressive, it's a pain in the ass to have to stop and refill the primer tube, and every once and a while a spent primer drops down and stops the ram from going all the way down to seat the primer....once again slowing you down.  

I've seen the 550B for around $300 if you can find a distributor in your area.  I got mine from the factory...329 from the factory..Makarov.com has 'em for $340 including shipping.  

There are some folks who don't speak too highly of Lee equipment...I don't know, since I've never used it.  I bought a Redding press on someone's recommendation, and have been thoroughly pleased with it. Ditto the Dillon...you're not gonna find too many people who will bad mouth the 550B.  One question, though, do you currently do any reloading?  

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
 Yes, I've reloaded for years, but only single stage.  I thought it would be nice to spend more time shooting than reloading so I want a progressive reloader.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Dillon 550B,  once you get the hang of it you can do about 450 pistol an hour & about 300 an hour.  One could probably do more but I like to check every 50th bullet powder weight to make sure nothing changes.  Its kind of hard to find used presses because not many people part with them.  I have seen some good packages on e-bay,  might check them out...  THe one awesome thing is they have a NO BS warranty.  If you have one and I dont mean the original owner,  you just call them if you have a problem & you will be amazed at the help you get.  I cannot tell you how stories my buddies have told be about Dillon sending them replacement parts at no extra charge.  I have not had any problems, Since I clean the whole unit about every 2000 rounds.  

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
DILLION, DILLION, DILLION!

These guys make the BEST progressive reloaders going.

I have a 550 that my Dad gave me in 1985 and its still going strong!  I have broke parts, lost parts they have always replaced them for free.  When I have asked about the cost of replacement parts that I BROKE, the answer has always been, "Say thank you."

You might want to consider looking for a used 650 - You can load much faster.  I bought a used one about a year ago for $325 and I have never looked back.  It takes me 5 minutes to load 100 rounds of 9mm or 45 and about 7 minutes to load 223 (putting those little bullets in that little neck slows me down!). Dont worry about buying a used Dillion because you can always send it to them and they will rebuild it FREE.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top