Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2003 9:27:52 PM EDT
Is there any consensus as to the best position to mount a vertical foregrip on a shorty handguard? I just got my KAC broomhandle, and tried three different positions on the RAS: farthest to the rear near the mag well; right in the middle; and all the way to the front...

I believe I've heard the far to the rear mounting as being the best, but if I tried to straighten my wrist, I came in contact with the magazine...

The middle position felt OK, but that did not leave enough space for a standard hold on the handguard; also, it would have required cutting down two RAS panels in order to cover the rails...

I settled on the far out position, because it allowed a hold on the handguard if needed, as well as a good feel to the vertical grip...though I will change it if someone has an overpowefullingly logical argument as to why it belongs in another position...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I preffer all of mine towards the rear. Not so far that it gets in the way of the mag though. I dont really worry about leaving enough room to grip the handgaurds mostly because I no longer have the need to do so. Mounting towards the rear helps to pivot and swing the rifle more readily, precisesly and more positively in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I also prefer my vertical foregrip toward the rear.  It gives me more leverage and balance holding the rife.  I have it back just enough to be able to pivot the upper off the lower.
The main thing is to use what's comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
For the record, I tighten my belt to the 4th notch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I tighten my belt to the fourth notch too, but mount my foreward grip about center but more towards the rear. I have long arms so thgat is where it is most comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Physical size and shape is going to have the biggest determination on where you will place the grip. It will come down to what feels best as others have stated.

As far as belt notches go, well that depends on which holster I am wearing. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a "vertical grip by the receiver" guy.  I use the 3rd notch unless I'm using an IWB holster.

:)
Alex
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the grip mounted mostly to the rear, it just feels better than having it at the end of the handguard.  I am using the Fobus M33 and their vertical grip.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my vertical foregrip in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I played around with mine when I first got it. I was always told that having it to the rear was the way to go, but it wasn't comfortable for me. I ended up putting it all the way to the end. It was more comforable there, and I do feel the need to grip the forearm (?). I found that the vertical foregrip is great when shooting off-hand. But I also found that the whole set up is not the way to go for me when shooting from other positions. Especially prone. I put my hand on the handguard (RAS II). My hand fits perfectly between the grip and the mag well. It is almost like the thing was designed just for this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found that the vertical foregrip is great when shooting off-hand. But I also found that the whole set up is not the way to go for me when shooting from other positions. Especially prone.
View Quote
Actually, I've found out that I really like the grip for prone.  I never could get a position that supported the barrel correctly that was comfortable for my wrist.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I put a 3 rib RAS pannel on and fit the grip on after that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually the trash would be a good place for it...

The problem with the VFG is that people use it wrong. They tend to pull on it real hard and it makes them jerk their shots. You only use the left hand to help steer the gun, while the right pulls it into the shoulder. Lots of folks mess this up and it hinders their shooting.

It also makes using support (barricades, walls, automobiles) more difficult. I say leave it off myself...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like my vertical foregrip in the middle.
View Quote

yours has some brown matter on it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
It depends on the length of your stock and the length of your arms. I have found a pretty good way to determine the best location that seems to work fo all my shooting buddies. Wedge the butt of the stock in your off side arm pit (if its a tele, use it on the notch you like most for shooting). Reach down the length of rifle with the off side arm and place the grip where you can enclose it in your fist with the stock still tucked under your arm. This should place the grip in a position comfortable for your size.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you ever seen a fore grip on the side?

I guess that would be a horizontal fore grip, then now wouldnt it?

Usefull for hip firing...maybe I could experiment rith one of those folding grips, but mount it sideways.

Naaah...never mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top