Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 4:19:35 PM EDT
Hey all, I am looking at getting an ACOG, maybe compact, maybe full size, haven't decided yet.
All three of my current AR's have A2 uppers. I have considered changing one out with a flat top but I really like the A2's.  What's so bad about putting the ACOG on the carry handle ? What are the pros and cons between A2 and flat top ?
Also, does anyone else like or prefer this setup and any pics would be great too !!

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Problem one:  The sight sits way high.  Of course you can get used to this.

Problem two:  Sight-Barrel ratio.  Not too much of a problem with bench/target shooting, but if you were to use your rifle for hunting, or CQB/combat type stuff, you will incur a problem shooting over barriers.  Your head will be much more exposed so that you can clear the barrel of your rifle from the obstruction.  It's enough of a pain in the ass with a flattop and an Aimpoint, imaging havint to go 2 or so inches even higher.

Problem three:  If you think of how you are sighting, you are forming a triangle with your sight, the barrel and the POI.  The greater the distance between the sight and the barrel, the more pronounced difference will be when you move the POI forwards or backwards.

Otherwise for the most part it works and depending on the sight, will look cool to boot. [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top