Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 7:21:05 PM EDT
I installed my Vortex flash suppressor after getting in a new crush washer.  I previously had a peel washer on the threads, and still the Vortex was bottoming out.  The threads were still showing after Vortex was screwed on tight.  So I decided to add the crush washer infront of (on top of) the peel washer to shim the threads so that my Vortex would go on nice and tight and there would be no exposed threads.  Is this setup alright?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds OK IMHO. Some people use the old style lock washer from the A1 birdcage if they're not worried about indexing. An innovative idea that I've seen used is to take a 1/2in. helicoil thread insert (if that's your size) and use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to remove a thread or two to use as a shim or spacer between your Vortex and the barrel. Taper the cutoff ends using a stone on your Dremel. Use a larger size helicoil insert if you have an HBAR or bull barrel. The helicoil is stainless, so no worry about rust. It works, and provides a nice finished (professional) looking job.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There's no reason to use the peel washer if you've got a crush washer.
View Quote

I know that, but with just the crush washer there are still exposed threads.  It needs the extra shim from that peel washer and vice versa.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top