Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 5:56:29 AM EDT
I know this should be in the cleaning section but the response rate there is low.

I was at the range a couple days ago and struck up a conversation with a guy shooting a custom .308 rig. He was cleaning in between each 5 shot group he shot. I asked about his cleaning tonic. He was using 1/3 acetone, 1/3 mineral oil, and 1/3 ammonia. He was quite pleased with it. I believe he had a Kreiger blued steel barrel on his rig.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the acetone in this mixture would be harmfull to the chrome lining in an AR. I asked this guy (Bob his name is) and he said he didn't know. Sure would be a cheap tonic if it doesn't do any damage. I know the ammonia wouldn't be needed every cleaning.

Shabo
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to www.loadyourown.com. Ed Harris has his own homemade cleaning fomula. It's called Ed's Red. It comes out to about $10.00 a Gallon. I use it on a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the Ed's Red solution.  I've been using it on all my firearms for about seven years.  Works great, costs next to nothing and is easy to make.  About the only thing it will not do is remove copper fouling.  I would presume that is what the ammonia is for in the other mixture, but I would be really careful with that.  I seem to recall that ammonia in to high of a concentration will etch steel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top