Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 3:46:06 AM EDT
Had to clear my weapon several times during range firing yesterday, and although I never noticed this when in the reserves, each cartridge ejected from the less than year old Bushy XM15-E2S's chamber had a small dent right in the middle of the primer!  If this is from the bolt ramming forward after loading a mag and pushing the bolt release button...is this a firing pin mark...and is this an accident waiting to happen?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the exact same Bushy, and all my spent catridges have the same indent on the primer...

Conclusion -
Mark left by Firing Pin...

How'd it get there???
I pulled the trigger...

Accident waiting to happen???
Nah, I intentionally pulled the trigger...

[sniper2]

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
As firing pin on ARs is free-floating this is as stated above from the firing pin.

This is commonly asked question #2, and completely normal (most mil-spec ammo has hard primers) and nothing to worry about.

For more info see [red][b]What's this Mark/Indention on my Primers[/b][/red] or something similar, here: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

Mike

Added: actually it's :[red][b]Q. I chambered a round in my AR and then unloaded it later.  The primer has a small dent in it, apparently from the firing pin.  Should I be worried about this?  Won't that cause a slam-fire?  Should I switch to a Titanium firing pin?[/b][/red]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Funny, Cutter, funny...
My fault, I forgot to explain, these were not spent but unfired cartridges that fired off without a hitch when I put them back in the mag, and locked and loaded.  I am thinking that the bolt when rammed forward is advancing too far.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks...
I thought it was pretty good...
It's always comforting to see that my twisted sense of humor is appreciated- LOL

Read the link [b]Mr_Wilson[/b] posted...
it answers your question directly.

I'll have to run (dry cycle) a mag through my rifle and check it out myself, now that you've got my curiosity peaked...

[sniper2]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top