Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2003 4:16:19 PM EDT
guys. my local gun dealer has a hell of a sale on AR15 rifles. i am going to pull the trigger and right a check out monday. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY ???? i plan on coyote hunting in southern il. we call, drive them, and chase them around with tracking dogs. all shots are 300 yards or less. we do a lot of walking. i want to put a nice 3 x 10 leouplod scope on it. i think the 16 inch barrel is the one for me because it is light. i want to put a 3 point sling on it for walking. here is the choices he has. guns are on the shelf. prices are as followed not counting 5 % tax. all are new guns in box.     bushmaster 16 inch v-match with the floating barrel = 825.00 ,  bushmaster A3 flat top and with the handel, 16 inch heavy  barrel called the shorty = 750.00  ,  armalite flat top only. no handle with 16 inch barrel with the muzzle brake on the barrel = 725.00  , olympic flat top 16 inch BULL barrel = 630.00  ,   DMS flat top 16 inch BULL barrel = 630.00. which is the best value for the money on what i want to do with the rifle ? thanks. marty. [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I am not a Bushie fan, I think the V match would be a heck of a deal. You didn't mention which model of DPMS or the price.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Bushmaster A3 - good all round rifle-
You can get a longer barrelled upper later
if you want , and its easy to scope.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The 16" V-Match would be the one I would pick based on what your going to use it for.  Second pick would be the 16" A3 Bushmaster.

Hell, pull the trigger big time and get both :)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster XM15-E2S A2 20". The base model, my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
By this time, you already know what you are buying.......what anyone else thinks is beside the point....Me, I wouldn't buy the Bushmaster, but, look at all the replies that would...besides, I would get a 20" bull barrel and not a 16".....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The Oly bull an Ultramatch? If so, it will almost certainly be the most accurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd stick with the Armalite or the Bushmaster.  I happen to dislike Oly products and service.  

A 20" bbl gun would not weigh that much more, I've shot a nice 16" extra heavy bbl gun that a friends has and it had some serious muzzle blast with whatever his pet load was at the time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Id get the Bushmaster A3 with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn! Nearly 24 hours and only now a 9th post. Perhaps yo should have posted something in the subject line making you sound female?

BTW, in case you missed that thread - this was meant as joke.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If cost is no object I would chose the Bushy V match.
However the A3 flat top with the carry handle would be a close second and the DPMS third. Now that is without handling them. You have to make the final choice. I would not get the rifle with the brake.

I just bought a Bushy A2 M4 and love it but I wanted a Dissipator or a shorty. But I found a good deal on this rifle. I did not want the brake and still do not like it. Had the rifle not had the A2 stock I would not have bought it. However I figured I can always get another upper later. Being I am laid off I was on a budget and the money I saved got me some mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the v-match. But if you feel like spending less money buy the dpms you will be happy with what ever you get.

For a little while any ways. Then you will will add a scope. and a scope will turn into an ACOG, then you will add new handgaurd that will turn into an RAS, or SIR pretty soon you'll have spent onther $2,500 and have enuf parts seting around that you might as well buy another lower reciever and build another AR.

Well thats just what i seem to do. Hopefully youl be able to fight the urges to spend all of your money on your new toy.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
NOW MY DEALER THROUGH IN THE IDEA OF A ROCK RIVER ARMS. WE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY FROM THERE FACTORY. HE TOLD ME IF IT DOES NOT SHOOT 1 INCH GROUPS BRING IT BACK AND HE WILL TAKE IT TO FACTORY AND GET ME ONE THAT DOES. 720.00 FOR A 16 OR 20 INCH FLAT TOP.  THIS IS GETTING TOUGHER BY THE DAY TO CHOOSE FROM. HA HA. MARTY [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NOW MY DEALER THROUGH IN THE IDEA OF A ROCK RIVER ARMS. WE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY FROM THERE FACTORY. HE TOLD ME IF IT DOES NOT SHOOT 1 INCH GROUPS BRING IT BACK AND HE WILL TAKE IT TO FACTORY AND GET ME ONE THAT DOES. 720.00 FOR A 16 OR 20 INCH FLAT TOP.  THIS IS GETTING TOUGHER BY THE DAY TO CHOOSE FROM. HA HA. MARTY [email protected]
View Quote

Marty, RRA is definitely a comer and your local situation might move you in that direction.  However, I've bought ArmaLite for many, many years and have not been disappointed.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
You should get the RRA varminter if you can.  Probably go with the 20" just because thats what I have.  They got an 18" model too, if you want to compromise between 16" and 20".  Real nice triggers on them too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should get the RRA varminter if you can.  Probably go with the 20" just because thats what I have.  They got an 18" model too, if you want to compromise between 16" and 20".  Real nice triggers on them too.
View Quote

Now that 18" barrel is new to me and interesting.  ArmaLite started with a 20" barrel on the original AR-15 but by the time the AR-18/AR-180 was designed in 1963 they had found they could get about 3150 fps with an 18.25", 1:12 twist barrel with a bullet weight of 55grns.  I'm guessing the RRA barrel will be 1:9 twist and the ammo sweet spot would be 62 grns but that would still supply plenty of velocity for "martyd's" needs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
BUSHMASTER 20" A3

I bought one & set it up with some 30 rd USGI mags, and an ARMALITE scope mount, with scope, and it's been the all-around rifle I hoped for.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The V-Match is nice I have one very accurate also 16". Good price with the handle. The DPMS 2nd in my choice. To bad the V-match isn't 20"

Now what I think you really would like to have for knocking off Dogs at 300 or more yds is a Bushmaster Varminter. Thats in a 24" with a National Match Trigger. I know that isn't what he has for sale.
Put a harris bipod and a scope of your choice on your in business. Good luck in you choice and hunt safe.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top