Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2003 4:10:15 PM EDT
I am currently looking to build a pre-ban tactical carbine and was wondering if I should go with a Y-comp or a phantom flash suppressor. bushmaster says that the phantom does not interfere with night vision what about the Y-comp. The night vision is a down the road thought. is there a benifit to using a comp. or a flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Most guys say the Y-comp is too noisy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Get an A2 Flash sup or a Phantom, the Mini-Y Comp is a very noisy bugger, but I like it!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
On a pre-ban I'd defintely go with a flash-suppresor.  Even w/o night vision devices, it'll save your eyes from the flash.  Supposedly the Vortex hides flash best, but the Phantom is almost as good.  Both are better than the A2.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
don't gp with the y-comp it may help with the flash but it makes your gun about 3 times as loud
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Have to admit my "Y" comp is loud but does what it is designed to do better than any I've used.  It will hold the barrel down as you squeeze them off as fast as you can.  It also has an upward back blast so if you are shooting handgrip by hip, you get this wind concussion up at your face.  Not bad just took a bit getting use to.  

Even though I don't use night scopes, on rifles anyway, the "Y" comp is designed to divert the blast upward so I would figure it would interfere with a night scope more than a flash suppressor.

As a iron sight or standard scope tactical weapon, I would prefer the "Y" comp.  Otherwise, I would probably opt for the flash suppressor.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Was at a firearms qualification with my department and for the rifle portion of the qual one of the guys shot with a Bushy M4 with
y-comp. First one I've ever been near at firing time. I don't know if it was horribly loud but it was louder than anything else on the range. The first time that thing went off I thought "what am I forgetting?". The combination of blast and noise made me conciously think whether or not I was wearing my glasses and ear protection. This was after six hours on the range when this equipment had started to seem natural. I was about 15' away - at the shooters 8 o'clock position. Not too unpleasant from that range but definitely loud enough to take notice.  I'd skip the y-comp, personally.

Coffee
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my M4 with Mini-Y a lot, BUT if (when!)I can legally replace it with a flash suppressor I will.  The Mini-Y throws a basketball sized fireball with Lake City ammo that would be a showstopper for night vision equipment, and it is definately loud.  It's a no-brainer go with the suppressor.

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
To put it mildly.........

DON'T GET A Y COMP!!!!!!!!

It cost me over $100 and about 2 months wait to get that vicious little bastard off of my Bushmaster M-4.  Y-comps are abusively loud and I will never be near anyone on the range if they're shooting with one.

Kurt's Kustom Firearms A2 and A3 Tac-Brakes are really good looking, high quality muzzle brakes and they won't blow your spotting scope backwards off the shooting bench like a Y comp will.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top