Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 8:23:07 PM EDT
A friend of mine who i turned on to ar15's just bought a pre-ban colt lower with a pre-ban bushmaster 11" upper from a guy who was moving to the west coast.( he did move ). He paid 1,200 for it(great shape). What he didn't realize was that you need a class III for a short-barrel. When i told him i broke his heart. Rifles aren't registered in Pennsylvania but you have a better chance of becoming mayor than getting a class III. The funny thing is when I talked to some of the police who goto my range about it they said "if it wasn't stolen, they didn't care" Little help please!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy resolution...move to Texas.  To hell with all of that liberal BS law.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Two options; get one of [url=bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/mmt-500.asp]these[/url] and have it permenantly attached to make if legal length. (make sure the combination is 16") or sell the upper on the EE (all NFA...) and pick up the style and length upper that he wants.

ed; If you buy the Bushmaster flash suppressor, they will attach it to the Bushmaster(only) barrel, check with their CS.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You could take the upper off and install a NEW pre-ban upper with the correct barrel length.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It must be just you. Plenty of NFA owners in PA. Maybe you should refer him to someone who deals with NFA and can point him in the right direction.

[url]http://www.autoweapons.com[/url] or any of the following.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania
Ray Barnes - Class 3

1317 Hamilton Street, Suite B1
Allentown, PA 18102
Phone: (610) 261-5127
E-mail [email protected]
Homepage: N/A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Carmichael - Firearm Supply - Class 2
304 Murrysville Rd.
Trafford, PA 15085
Phone: (412) 372-2191 from 6-9 PM EST Evenings.
E-mail [email protected]

Cobb Hill Firearms Inc - Class 2 - DD transfers in NY and PA, Barretts and US Ordnance
PO Box 123
Friendsville PA 18818
and
Cazenovia NY 13035
Phone: 1-877-BUY-A-GUN  Email preferred and gets a faster response.
FAX:  (315) 662-7599
E-mail [email protected]

Keystone Arms - Joe Manazza Jr. - Class 3 - Specializing in military gun parts
PO Box 599
Millrift, PA 18340
Phone: (570) 491-4867
E-mail [email protected]
http://www.keystonearms.com

F. Charles Logan - Arms and Ordnance - Class 3
Box 441
Warrendale, PA 15086  
Phone: (724) 776-9271
FAX: (724) 776-0355
E-mail [email protected]
http://www.arms-ordnance.com

Don Porter - Top Guns - Class 3
R.D. 3 Box 34
Knox, PA 16232
Phone/Fax: (814) 797-1624
E-mail [email protected]
http://www.arms-ordnance.com/topguns

PS Arms - Paul Sadowski - Class 3
PO Box 798
Easton, PA 18044-0798
US Phone/Fax: (801) 881-5460
UK Phone/Fax: 0870-133-8492
E-mail [email protected]
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/psarms/homepage.html

Dr. Dennis A. Todd - Class 2 and Class 10 (destructive devices manufacturer)
540 Baltimore Pike
Springfield, PA 19064
Phone: (610) 543-7300
Fax: (610) 543-7909
E-mail [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rifles aren't registered in Pennsylvania but you have a better chance of becoming mayor than getting a class III.
View Quote

You must live in Phila huh?

Here in Nothern PA every Form 4 I have had signed by CLEO took less than five minutes from the time I walked in the Sheriff's Office till the time I left with my signed forms.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Have him sell it to his own corporation (which he will make up) thus bypassing the CLEO signature.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
That's the beauty of this system - swap a class III dealer for a legal-length one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, let me think....oh yeah, just take the short upper off. PRESTO-CHANGE-O! No more short barreled rifle.

Sell the upper, trade it, or convert it to a legal length one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A friend of mine who i turned on to ar15's just bought a pre-ban colt lower with a pre-ban bushmaster 11" upper from a guy who was moving to the west coast.( he did move ). He paid 1,200 for it(great shape). What he didn't realize was that you need a class III for a short-barrel.
View Quote

How could he pay for it and not realize it? At the time of paying for it, didn't the seller ask himn to fill out a Form 4 for the transfer?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]
something fishy with that sale,

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Seller probably just wanted the quick cash and decided to let the unwitting buyer deal with the legalities.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok he lives in Philly. The suburbs are alot easier to get a class III. In philly a judge needs to sign it. As i said my friend is new to the whole ar-15 thing, he thought it was just like any other rifle in P.A.(no transfer). I already yelled at him for not asking me first. The guy who sold it to him moved to california. He's very well known and liked in the shooting community in Philadelphia. my friend removed the upper a has it in storage till he figures this out. So I loned him on of my 16" uppers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the corporate registration is his way out. Anybody know how to do it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
In areas where a person cannot acquire a Law Enforcement Signature because these people would rather violate your rights than let you own one of these items, there is another way. BATF allows Corporations to acquire machine guns, silencers, etc. without having to complete the Law Enforcement Certification part of the form. If you have your own Corporation, or you are an Officer in a Corporation, the Corporation can acquire these items, and you, as a Corporate Officer, can keep the item at
your home, take it to the range shooting, etc. just as if the item were registered to you. If the Corporation ever dissolves, the item must be
transferred out of the Corporation to another individual or Corporation (or Dealer). Because a Corporation is not a person, an FBI Fingerpring check is not required which reduces the transfer approval time to about 30 days.

Check with a local class 3 dealer he will have any information you might need.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top