Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 7:07:50 PM EDT
when shooting the hell out of it? 300-400 rnds/half hour. My guess is it wouldn't get over 500 degrees F as it would radiate heat at a certain rate. Was curious if anyone happens to know this info, and would apprediate their sharing it with us. thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen videos of barrels glowing dull red.. should be able to find the glow temperature of chromoly steel rather easily...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot enough to light up a cig.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
In the past, with a previous employer, I've been apart of some testing, which may answer your question.

In the testing, I've seen temps reach upwards to 1700 degrees F.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
WoW!! guess I'm wrong on the 500 deg.I've never seen one even close to being that hot. That shoots the hell out of my theory to shrink-fit a phony A2 cage on the end of my barrel. Thought it was too simple to be true. LoL.
Thanks for the in-put.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone took a class 3 full auto M4 or M16 sporter or somthing like that to the last ETH shoot.  had a nice silencer on it. the owner shot it full auto and both the gass tube and barrel/silencer area were bright red.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you should ask, I took a digital thermometer with me to the range last time.  I have a 16" fluted M4 barrel.  The first shot cold took it to about 80 degrees and each shot after that raised it about 10-15 degrees.  A 30 round mag shot at a rate of about 1 shot every second leveled off at about 350 degrees.

Hot enough to burn you but won't light that cig.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Does that change the characteristics of the metal?  Or harm the barrel at all? How about the finish or parkerizing?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Everything needs to be seasoned right?  During initial break in I shot 20rds & cleaned for 200 rounds.  It took me about 30 minutes.  Groups were real good.  Then I got after it with only about 160 rounds.  I could not hold the aluminum free float handguard.  I think I need more vents...  If you ever have the chance watch the machine gun video by dillon precision.  They have some barrels that are beyond cherry red.

I will probably not torture my AR as much as my M1A,  but I actually think the AR would take more.  But who am i to say...

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have tried to make one of my guns turn red and it was impossible with a semi. I think it may be possible with FA, but the barrel only starts smoking, and nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Another thing you might be interested in is the air temp inside the barrel.  I figure the digital thermometers used for cooking would work.  Put 30 rounds through it, then put the thermo down the barrel - you'd have to be pretty steady not to touch the barrel.

The hotter this air is the harder it's going to be for your barrel to waste heat and cool down...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#12]
My [url=http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/fake-80s-M16A2-Commando.jpg]M16[/url] has been so hot that heat waves were visible more than an inch away from the barrel.
I cool [url=http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/CommandoBlasting1.jpg]it[/url] off by running it under a faucet at the range.

One important measure of both intelligence and temperature is how many square inches of my skin have been left sizzling on the front sight and barrel of my pea shooter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
M4 barrels have exceeded 1,100 F after sustained fire!  

AR's probably never get that hot.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My [url=http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/fake-80s-M16A2-Commando.jpg]M16[/url] has been so hot that heat waves were visible more than an inch away from the barrel.
I cool [url=http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/CommandoBlasting1.jpg]it[/url] off by running it under a faucet at the range.

One important measure of both intelligence and temperature is how many square inches of my skin have been left sizzling on the front sight and barrel of my pea shooter.
View Quote

I am almost positive that will hurt the barrel,  won't it.  Aren't you supposed to let a barrel (any barrel) air cool on it's own.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#15]
All I can say is Grip it and rip it.  

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I am almost positive that will hurt the barrel,  won't it.  Aren't you supposed to let a barrel (any barrel) air cool on it's own.
View Quote

I didn't buy it to look at.  

Ideally, letting it cool down on it's own is what I'd like to do.  Due to time, I'm not very shy about cooling it down more quickly.
To mitigate the dangers of cooling it down with water I do a few things like not drenching it immediately and I try to do it evenly front to back inside and out.
Am I an idiot?  Am I going to weed myself out of the gene pool?  Time will tell.

Considering what I've seen in the military with similar quantities of ammo and similarly hot guns I don't think I'm being particularly dangerous.  Maybe some of our more learned members can comment on things like how much heat it takes to affect the structure of 4140/4150 steel and how rapid cooling could also affect it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top