Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 8:04:54 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been a member for a while, but just haven't posted before. Anyway, I traded my Custom tricked out 1911 Colt for a Colt AR15 Sporter Competition HBAR from a friend of mine a couple days ago, and I have one question. I called Colt yesterday to see when the rifle was made, so I gave the customer service guy the serial # and he said it was made in 1995 so it was a post ban model. According to CockedandLocked's serial # list, I would assume it's postban since he said pre-ban's are CH 019500 and lower in numbers. Here is the serial # CH 0196XX. The rifle is in like 98% and it has been shot very little. The flash hider on the end looks like a preban ( the bird cage style) except it doesn't have the slits on the bottom half of the flash hider. It doesn't have the bayonet lug. Also, it has a removable carry handle. Another question is can I legally use 30 rd mags in it, or can I only have 20 rd mags in it if it's a post ban rifle? I'm a volunteer reserve police officer in my hometown if that helps any.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If Colt tells you it's post ban then I guess it is. Who would know better[:D].

Re the mags, you can use any size, but the mags (both 20 and 30 rounds) have to have been manufactured before the ban. Currently produced hi cap mags are date stamped to indicate use by military and law enforcement only---and being a volunteer officer does NOT entitle you to an examption.  The exemption is for department bought and department used mags only.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks for the info. I figured that there had to be something about using high capacity mags in post ban rifles, but I didn't exactly know where to look on ATF's website for it. I pretty sure the flash hider that's on my AR was there from the factory, but it still looks like a bird cage flash hider to me. If I knew how to post pics of it, I would so you could see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the help,
NH308
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
night_hunter308 - That sounds like an A2 flash hider, if the end is wide open. If the end is closed off, with a small exit hole for the bullet, then it is a compensator. The slots are absent on the bottom to reduce dust signature when fired close to the ground. If it's a hider, it's illegal on a post-ban. If it's a compensator, it has to be permanently attached. A barrel with threaded muzzle is also illegal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome. Be sure to address this issue immediately for your own legal safety. If our instructions for determining whether the weapon is pre-ban or post ban is confusing, then I suggest you take the upper receiver (the top part, which includes the bolt assembly and barrel) off and bring it to a gun shop so they can help you. there are 2 pins (likely screws for a Colt) on the left side of the lower receiver. Just un screw/push pins out and the upper & lower is sucessfully separated. If you find the upper is preban then keep the two parts separated. you can sell the preban upper & get a post ban upper, or just hang on to it in case the AWB sunset actually happens.

Also, don't do this: "Here is the serial # CH 019615". Most of us are good guys that like to help the new guy or just learn ourselves. It would be in your best interests to make posts like this from now on: "Here is the serial # CH 0196XX".

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top