Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2003 4:23:11 PM EDT
Deciding upon a Bush, or an Amralite, any pros or cons?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
WHY NOT A COLT?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Or Rock River?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my two cents.  If you get a postban AR, then get a Bushy.  If you get a preban AR, then get a Colt.  Some may beg to differ but others will also agree.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What type of configuration are you thinking about?  What kind of shooting do you plan to do?
What will be this rifles purpose?

The answers to these questions may help us provide the pros and cons of each.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, go with a milspec rifle from the start.  they'll shoot straighter than most of us right out of the box and you don't have to worry about finicky chambering and extracting with match chambers. as your shootng improves (if you are shooting service or highpower), you'll probably want a slick trigger, maybe free float the barrel, etc.  its all possible from the basic rifle.  as far as brands, pick what you like.  there area alot of folks here that are happy with various ones - i see most touting rock river, bushmaster, armlite and colt, mostly.  dpms appears to be good stuff, too.  i bought a bushmaster in the A3 config. so i could use some optics but have never shot it with the carry handle off.  whatever your choice, shoot it and enjoy.    
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy's AR Brand Comparison [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620]Chart[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Armalite M15A4 with Armalite removable carry handle and removable front sight. I've added a First Samco M44L front handguard and mounted an Aimpoint ML2. I can't remember who made the ML2 mount but it's cool in that it has a click stop when it's tightened down so it always returns to zero. I also added the Wilson pistol grip. I may add a light and a pistol grip at some point. It's now becoming a toy. Heck, I may even take time to actually go shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WHY NOT A COLT?
View Quote

why pay more for the name?  

Bushie has better customer service if i hear correctly.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
See this article:

[url=http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm]AR-15s For Serious Use[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Id go with a bushy. Cheaper than Armalite and better too (JMO dont crucify me). Dont get a post ban Colt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll say it again, get a Bushmaster.  You can not go wrong with a Bushy.  And like Citabria said, Bushmaster has a service department second to none.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
See this article:

[url=http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm]AR-15s For Serious Use[/url]
View Quote

The last of the Big Three is Bushmaster. Bushmaster is also the ONLY one to offer all of the desirable features, and is the closest to the rifles used by the US military.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Go Armalite.  I have Colt, good on its own (useless with the pin issues), a Bushmaster and an Armalite.  ONLY the Armalite fits on both my Beowulf and Leitner-Wise uppers without a problem.  

If all you're ever going to have is Bushmaster, I guess it's OK.

Oh, they also over-charge for accessories.  If you search the internet, you'll find a lot of what they sell for 20-40% less.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Go Armalite.  I have Colt, good on its own (useless with the pin issues), a Bushmaster and an Armalite.  ONLY the Armalite fits on both my Beowulf and Leitner-Wise uppers without a problem.  

If all you're ever going to have is Bushmaster, I guess it's OK.

Oh, they also over-charge for accessories.  If you search the internet, you'll find a lot of what they sell for 20-40% less.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If I had a gift certificate from "AR WORLD" valid for one post ban of my choice I would go with the new Bushmaster Superlight 16" A3 with the stubby/entry stock. Everybody gets a hard-on here about their fierce brand loyalty (which isn't always a bad thing) but if you really listen to the people you will find about 4 or 5 companies with something good to offer. I went with Bushmaster and I was not disappointed. The rifle is probably the closest thing out of the box to mil-spec that you can get for starters. MY Bushmaster contrary to some smears did not come out of the box looking like it was a custom order for Barney, the PURPLE sharpshooter either. All preban magazines slide into her like nobody's business and I have never had a problem to date, despite my nasy habit of using Wolf Ammo from time to time.

The new superlight is the closest thing you can buy in aesthetics to an M4 or other carbine IMO (despite the lack of a fake telestock) and I can't imagine what a joy it would be moving that thing around as it's under 6 pounds. Don't forget, a dollar to Bushmaster is a dollar support to one company who won't buckle to these asshole "anti" lobbysts and money hungry bastards.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Go for the Bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a bushie.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Do NOT get a post ban Colt.  The stupid plastic butt plate was a real turnoff.

My bushie has a real grunt-grit-grunt-BANG trigger though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have Armalite, Bushy, and Colt. Six of one,half a dozen of another? My 2 cents,get them all. hehehe
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top