Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 11:43:09 AM EDT
Hardcase, softcase, guitarcase?  What do you prefer and why...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Pelican 1700 hard case.  Why . Because it's one tough case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Locally I transport it in a Galati Softcase.  I can keep the rifle assembled & it has room for extra mags and some accessories.  Plus it has convient straps for carrying it.

For long distance travel (particulary through the north east) I pack my rifle in a tool box (see the How-To at MD-AR15.com) so if I need to fix a flat tire (and thus emtpy my trunk to get to the tire & tools) I don't get the NJ SWAT team responding to a man with a gun report.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Galati soft case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
To and from the range I use a military canvas parachute drop case.  

Long distance I use a Starlight case.

At home I have it hanging on the wall but late at night I have it slung on my sholder.  [8D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Locally I transport it in a Galati Softcase.  I can keep the rifle assembled & it has room for extra mags and some accessories.  Plus it has convient straps for carrying it.

For long distance travel (particulary through the north east) I pack my rifle in a tool box (see the How-To at MD-AR15.com) so if I need to fix a flat tire (and thus emtpy my trunk to get to the tire & tools) I don't get the NJ SWAT team responding to a man with a gun report.
View Quote

If you're from out of state can you legally even drive through Jersey with a firearm regardless of how its secured?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
When going to my personal range or hunting coyotes, the guns sits in the passenger's seat or between the drivers seat and console, muzzle down, round chambered and on safe. I treat all firearms as if they are loaded, so it might as well be ready to go. Why? Because I can.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I break mine down into a trombone case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I use my Waller & Sons soft safe for taking it to the range and for traveling(it's got a locking zipper) for airline travel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Store:  A big-assed safe of course!

Otherwise, if I'm going to the range or what-not, I use a Galati soft case. On those occasions where I'm taking one to an unfriendly area (Maryland) I have a nice Ibanez soft guitar case that fits perfectly and even has a pouch for mags.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Soft guitar case.  Works great.  Says 'Gibson' on the front.  Perfect fit and it conceals the contents.

Guitar cases are cheaper than tactical bags and much more subtle.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Starlight case...the best IMO![:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I guess it depends....

[b]Transport:[/b]

Sling on back, when I'm either traveling light or packing in the field.

Hard case, when it's just an AR or two and I'm going to the range.

Assault case, when I'm going to the range with a crap load of firearms and want my AR stuff in one place.  Assault cases are more field friendly than a hard case.  You can sling them on your back and later spread them out on the ground to lay your rifle on without them slip sliding away.  In a primative shoot, I always pack the assault case if I'm taking a case at all.

[b]Storage:[/b]

In the safe mainly when not being used or worked on.

On my bench stand for short intervals between working on it.

On the wall gun rack, when it's more than a one day job.

In the case under the bed, when I can't take my eyes off it and want to take it out before I go to bed and play with it. LOL

Overall, I store it with a light coat of oil, always.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Storage - Locked in the safe.  (how many stolen gun threads around here is it going to take?)

Transport - Depends on which one it is.  Most ARs go in soft cases.  The really expensive ones with nice glass and such (Varminter, 10T) go in hard cases - a Starlight and Browning Travel Vault.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're from out of state can you legally even drive through Jersey with a firearm regardless of how its secured?
View Quote

Well, aside from the FEDERAL firearms transport law... NJ law simply requires they be legal where you started and where you end and that they be locked in the trunk, unloaded, not immediately accessible by the driver.

For all the unbelievably stupid, infringing, gestap-esque gun laws in NJ, its amazing that this one is fairly common sense...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For all the unbelievably stupid, infringing, gestap-esque gun laws in NJ, its amazing that this one is fairly common sense...
View Quote

Why is it common sense?  If I am not going to randomly shoot up my hometown, why would I need to unload the weapon and place it into the trunk out of reach when I enter your state?

I can carry a loaded AR15 in a gunrack in my truck in Texas.

I really don't know of any 'common sense' gun laws that are NOT covered by another set of laws.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a free blue gym bag I got when my wife ordered some crap on the internet.

I wrap my upper in an old greasy maroon Wendy's shirt.

I wrap my lower in an old greasy maroon Wendy's shirt.

I put both of them in the crappy free blue gym bag and it doesn't look like it is in any way valuable or firearms related.  I also carry at least one loaded handgun about my person at all times.

People sure give my funny looks when I start taking old burger flipping shirts out of a blue gym back and assemble it into [url=http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/fake-80s-M16A2-Commando.jpg]this[/url].
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry my AR15 in a double rifle SKB lockable case. Had it for years with no problems. Tough as hell, and you can throw it around w/o hurting it or the contents.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster Varminter - Pelican Case.
Colt MT6400C - soft sided case - you can bang it around and with a ACOG NSN, does it really matter?
[img]http://www.fototime.com/B373C8ADC635CF0/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is it common sense?  If I am not going to randomly shoot up my hometown, why would I need to unload the weapon and place it into the trunk out of reach when I enter your state?

I really don't know of any 'common sense' gun laws that are NOT covered by another set of laws.

TRG
View Quote

I consider the unoaded part of it common sense because an unattended/unsecure loaded weapon is Murphy's paradise.  Every single private/airman/seaman entering any branch of the armed services is taught this from day one.

I consider the locked up part of it common sense because crime is a harsh reality in this state.  More in some places than others.  Especially bad in our beautiful ([rolleyes]) capital where these laws are made.

I am tickled pink that you can carry a loaded and unlocked weapon in your gun rack.  I think its great, I really do.  But, do you leave said weapon in the rack when you go into the supermarket for 45 minutes?  Perhaps you do and nothing will happen.  Unfortunately, around here, somebody will smash and grab that weapon in a second.  Maybe its just different environemnts.  

Would I be happier if there weren't a law regarding this?  Of course I would.  However, I still believe that anyone (and I do concede that this may be a geographical/environmental thing) with any common sense would take care to properly secure their weapons.  That is what I meant, the law prescribes what should be common sense behavior.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Lot of great ideas...and some good reasoning.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...For long distance travel (particulary through the north east) I pack my rifle in a tool box (see the How-To at MD-AR15.com) so if I need to fix a flat tire (and thus emtpy my trunk to get to the tire & tools) I don't get the NJ SWAT team responding to a man with a gun report.
View Quote

View Quote

Yes by Federal law you can.  However, that doesn't stop them from being scared of an "Evil AW" and sending out cops to talk with and/or arrest you (ask OneShotOneKill about his experiences with the NY cops on this one).  Yes they will have to let you go, and legally return the rifle (that doesn't mean they might not keep it and require you to file an expensive court case to get it returned).

By why risk it?  Use a low profile case and nobody gets upset because it is a Tool or Guitar case - not an 'evil' gun case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey guys, you may want to check with the local cops too. You can be within State Law but your city may have an ordinance or law about carrying certain firearms too.

Usually just a citation at that level but if you can avoid it by checking ...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Gotta love Texas
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Transport: in my truck
Store: in my safe

Not bein' a smart a**.  In KY driving around with a AR15 in your gun rack is no biggy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#26]
store 'em in the safe.

transport the ARs and other black/green stuff in nylon rifle cases... i like Eagle the best, Blackchicken next, followed by Assault Systems... i've seen Galati , it looks like cheap crap IMHO.

have some soft cases, and cheap Doscksil hard cases for "traditional" scoped rifles... buddy's wife started to back their Jeep over a Winchester 52 with 1.75" Unertl in one of these cheap cases... no damage to the gun or case ... but i about had a freakin' hearrt attack!

CAR-15s can fit into tennis raquet bags & "stuff" for more discreete transport.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]
At Home: In the safe.

On the road and one passenger: GunGuard Dbl Rifle case purchased from The Sports Authority.

On the road and a passenger: A Nylon carry case made by Liberty Sports Mfg. (Goes behind the seat easier.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Soft case to the range or woods. Locked in my safe at home, always unloaded. I can't be to careful at home, I have 3 kids.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Stored in a safe, carried in a soft guitar case.  Fits alright, cheap, and the sheep that see me walk to my car with it think I'm going to go jam with friends.  

Max
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn, dirty, scratched up Little N*gger rides on the dash of my truck.
I beleive in exposing them anyway.
And before anyone says it, It's been riding there for 4 years without being touched.
After all would you take the chance of breaking in to a truck with a beat up AR on the dash?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Not to Hijack the thread, but which is better?  Pelican or Starlight??

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not to Hijack the thread, but which is better?  Pelican or Starlight??

Thanks

John
View Quote

ill let you decide
Barrett ships the civilian m82a1 with a starlight and the military m82a1 with a pelican 1750
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top